Sign in to follow this  
jprshoots

RF Mount?

Posted (edited)

It seems like everyone is always comments on every new camera, Canon or not, complaining that there is no RF mount option. Am I missing something. Why is everyone asking for this? Are RF lenses just that much better than EF Lenses? Not complaining, just really want to know why people are so demanding of an RF mount. I'm assuming it has to do with lenses.

Edited by jprshoots

This is something I'm wondering too, as I don't get it. I do think the RF-lenses are better that the Canon L-series EF-lenses, sharper, less vignetting etc. Maybe faster autofocus? But they're also quite expensive compared to their EF counterparts. 

Personally I'm struggling with multiple mounts already. I own an FS7, Amira and at some point I'll get another mirrorless camera (sold my old A7sII in anticipation for the new R5 and A7sIII). The FS7 is adapted to EF and I also run a lot of EF-lenses on the Amira for lightweight work. But sometimes I run PL-lenses and need to adapt the FS7 for that and or another camera needs adapting. If I were to get a mirrorless camera I'd probably prefer to get a camera that can allow EF-mounting. My EF-lenses are plenty good for my work, and I have a lot of EF-lenses. They can also be mounted to almost every camera out there, which is nice. RED, Panasonic, Sony, Arri, you name it, it probably has an EF-mount adapter. A lot of cine glass I rent also is sometimes EF (CP.2, Canon CN-E). 

RF-glass inherently can't be adapted to much because of the short flange distance. It's the same with the Sony E-mount system. At the same time I'm not sure if Canon sells or let's you use the RF in a third party camera without a hefty fee, or maybe they straight up won't let you use it. Not sure how that works.

To sum it up, I don't think it makes sense for a lot of folks who shoots with different cameras to invest in RF-glass purely because it's limited to the EOS Mirrorless range. Sony has made some headway in the way they have the E-mount on both their mirrorless bodies and cinema bodies (including the Venice!). If you're shooting a lot on Sony investing in the MKs makes sense, and also their FE-lenses.

Thanks for your thoughts, Martin. I do agree that the new RF lenses are most likely technically better than older EF lenses but the tradeoff is versatility, which I think is the better of the two, especially with someone like who you deals with multiple cameras and mounts.

Definitely. I could not imagine investing in RF glass for myself, but for stills shooters investing in Canon mirrorless it makes sense, but they can not except their lenses to be used on other cameras the same way EF-glass is.