Nezih

Ergorig Customisations

As you may know, I'm a fan of the Ergorig (I'll save the details why, as I've discussed elsewhere, but do ask if you'd like to know more about why!).

Having said that, it's not, in my opinion, perfect right out of the box.

There are a few modifications I made to make my Ergorig better suited to me.

1. The first, and the main thing, is that I'm quite slim... and I found that I had to tighten the waist strap as far as it'll go to ensure it sits properly on my hips without slipping down. However, if I change layers I'm wearing, this needs quick adjusting on the fly. For example, I've had situations where I'm working indoors in just a t-shirt, and then suddenly need to go outside and put on three extra layers. This means an adjustment of the waist strap.

I found this quite fiddly to do while the Ergorig is on me because the direction the strap tightens is on my left side and pointing backwards: so not only is it my weaker hand, but also in the weakest direction. This makes it hard to get it as tight as I need. I found myself having to take it off to adjust, slowing me down a lot.

After speaking with Jesse, the designer of the Ergorig he suggested I try flipping the strap around. This was easy to do, but note that there is a piece of velcro under the strap to stop it slipping, so I had to stitch a new bit in (as the alignment had changed), but that wasn't too hard to do. Now the strap can be tightened with my right hand.... much better!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I did also suggest that a ratchet system like steadicam vests have might be better. IIRC he said they had considered this, but opted against it for cost and simplicity reasons. He said they may reconsider it in the future.

2. The Erorig comes in two sizes. "Normal" and "short" (which is designed for people with shorter torsos). I measured myself, and felt I fitted into the "normal" category". However, I found that I was unable to get the shoulder pad quite as low as I liked. Too late to return, as I'd paid for expensive shipping from the States (this was before CVP in the UK stocked them). I could just make it lower by just letting the metal slides overlap one another, but this caused them to protrude and catch on my clothing.

So, I simply cut some metal off! I'm confident that doing this hasn't weakened it's structural integrity at all... in my case it was definitely totally redundant metal.

I simply used a hacksaw suitable for metal, and a file to smooth it off afterwards.

1065713273_Screenshot2020-06-28at16_18_21.jpg.b9699f1550116d4204a10a2cc9cc5edd.jpg

2130822640_Screenshot2020-06-28at16_18_13.jpg.ac24f00d6200bc3cc7eff5bea183c465.jpg

3. Even then, I felt I wanted to get the shoulder pad closer still to my shoulder. So I simply removed the inner velcro pad from it (the one that goes between the Ergorig and my shoulder). This save at least 1cm, meaning I can now get the camera/lens/EVF closer to where it would have been were it just on my shoulder.

1672681417_Screenshot2020-06-28at16_35_48.jpg.41f8677440f5b72c547fa10daaa1f5d3.jpg

4. The shoulder pad needed some fine tuning when I first got it too. I felt that the camera was a bit wonky, and tended to roll away from my head. Fortunately there are several adjustment points here. It's a little fiddly... but eventually I got a setting that works perfectly for me, allowing my camera to remain well balanced on my shoulder without rolling.

783740827_Screenshot2020-06-28at15_56_14.jpg.c0486c28e952c7036bf3f3a5b95f5ef8.jpg

I also felt the edge of the shoulder pad dug into my neck a little. Taking the top velco pad off (the one that the camera sits on) and shifting it over slightly so it overlaps the metal alleviated this issue.

688135862_Screenshot2020-06-28at15_56_20.thumb.jpg.b1a2e0d5123f219b6845e496f8622228.jpg

5. I found that the front strut poked out, causing it to catch on clothing etc. I got some strong self-adhesive velcro I already had, cut it to size, and stuck it in to fix this. Much better now!

BEFORE:

207060971_Screenshot2020-06-28at15_58_28.thumb.jpg.a65e1c88051349eedccd375a7907da29.jpg

AFTER:

241848069_Screenshot2020-06-28at16_15_28.thumb.jpg.d5207301a2d825fe0180ed0630969270.jpg

6. Molle pouches! I'm glad the Ergorig was designed with the accessory loops on the waist strap. It meant I was able to easily add these pouches I already owned (I use them on my F-Stop backpack that I only occasionally use on certain travel jobs). The two green ones are perfect for accessories - and even fit spare v-lock batteries. The taller one will take either a water bottle, or I've also used it for a reporter's wireless stick mic!

1325112632_Screenshot2020-06-28at16_07_12.jpg.a4b83416cf35ae22580b3ec7d8e34b6b.jpg

IMG_3408.thumb.jpg.393f44d38536da516654f85eb054b525.jpg

I hope you found these ideas useful!

• Like 2

P.S. for anyone reading this considering buying an Ergorig - feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about it. Pro, cons, etc. I'm happy to help where I can. And if you found all this useful and are considering buying one from Cinema Devices, please do kindly consider using my ambassador code in the "Notes/Referral Code” box on the checkout page: A73FKN3OLYTUEJ (thank you!).

https://www.cinemadevices.com/product-page/ergorig

Unfortunately, they have removed the roll adjustment from the ErgoRig.  You must have an early copy. I’m not sure what it really accomplished removing this adjustment.  Maybe a few bucks in matching ?  I addressed this with them and they actually offered to swap out the components, because they had some old ones left, but then slightly walked it back and wanted me to try some other things, first.  At that point I became frustrated and it has just sat in its bag, since, because I felt like I was being ignored.  When you’re in a niche market and one of your customers, with decades of experience, tells you something to make the product better, maybe you should listen and take them seriously.

Really?! That seems like such an odd thing to remove!

A shame to hear of your experience. Were you speaking to Jesse, or people from Cinema Devices?

I'm not sure if you've ever had issues with the plastic quick release buckles, but I hate them with a passion as they always tend to unlock with the slightest pressure applied. I had this happen with my Easyrig every time that I'd bend down or similar and one day one of the tangs snapped while tightening the waist strap.

So I went looking around and found these things, which cost stuff all, and replaced the waist buckle and have had no issues since. These are absolutely rock solid and clamp on well. The only thing that would make them better is if it were slightly easier to attach a strap to the right hand side:

spacer.png

@Run&Gun hmm... interesting. That hasn't happened to me at all, and it doesn't feel like it will. I wonder then if on the version you have they also used different buckles?!

I've had problems with the plastic quick release couplings for decades. I once managed to drop a camera waist bag into a river when I leaned down and the buckle must have compressed against my body and simply opened. The same with the Easyrig, when the coupling released, it nearly toppled the camera but fortunately the shoulder couplings didn't give way.

I've also had the plastic tangs on these couplings break off numerous times (as it did on the Easyrig), which is why I would never use them in camera strap configurations. I think much depends on where they are located and the ones on your harness don't appear to be in compression points but, even then,  I wouldn't rely too much on these plastic couplings.

Given the price of these devices, I don't understand why the manufacturers rely on these cheap plastic couplings when the metal ones are not expensive at all.

11 hours ago, Nezih said:

Really?! That seems like such an odd thing to remove!

A shame to hear of your experience. Were you speaking to Jesse, or people from Cinema Devices?

I actually reached out to them via email a little while ago to see if they will still swap the components to give my shoulder plate the roll adjustability.

I have emailed with Jesse and Cliff, the GM for Cinema Devices, as well as Nahal, most recently, who reached out to me about the ambassador program earlier this year.

I haven't had buckle issues.  That was Australian Image.

9 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

I've had problems with the plastic quick release couplings for decades. I once managed to drop a camera waist bag into a river when I leaned down and the buckle must have compressed against my body and simply opened. The same with the Easyrig, when the coupling released, it nearly toppled the camera but fortunately the shoulder couplings didn't give way.

I've also had the plastic tangs on these couplings break off numerous times (as it did on the Easyrig), which is why I would never use them in camera strap configurations. I think much depends on where they are located and the ones on your harness don't appear to be in compression points but, even then,  I wouldn't rely too much on these plastic couplings.

Given the price of these devices, I don't understand why the manufacturers rely on these cheap plastic couplings when the metal ones are not expensive at all.

Had an easy rig for years and the clips never came close to opening .. I found them to be very strong .. ?  sure you didnt have a fake one .. 🙂 

29 minutes ago, Robin Probyn said:

Had an easy rig for years and the clips never came close to opening .. I found them to be very strong .. ?  sure you didnt have a fake one ..

Mine is a fake one but I've had quick releases by reputable manufacturers fail. It's not just a matter of them breaking, but also of coming undone when body pressure is inadvertently applied. The design of these releases is such that it's much easier to come undone versus the example that I showed. I've had too many self-release to trust them.

39 minutes ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

Mine is a fake one but I've had quick releases by reputable manufacturers fail. It's not just a matter of them breaking, but also of coming undone when body pressure is inadvertently applied. The design of these releases is such that it's much easier to come undone versus the example that I showed. I've had too many self-release to trust them.

I would be a bit careful saying a product has useless clips that come undone and break ,when its not actually the real thing..   easy rig is registered product name that everyone knows .. better to say yours was a fake one from the start..   and that would explain why they opened and broke.. real easy rig they dont ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robin Probyn said:

I would be a bit careful saying a product has useless clips that come undone and break ,when its not actually the real thing..   easy rig is registered product name that everyone knows .. better to say yours was a fake one from the start..   and that would explain why they opened and broke.. real easy rig they dont ..

I was talking about the clips in general, not the Easyrig specifically. As I said, the main problem, regardless of the manufacturer, is the potential for the clips to self-release and especially the larger the clip. It's the self-release issue that concerns me the most. It may not ever have happened to you, but I've had it happen a number of times over the last 20 or so years.

Also, my post was intended to offer a solution for anyone that has experienced self-release issues, breakages or wants something that is definitely going to be secure, is easy to source and doesn't cost very much at all. It's an exchange of ideas, or thinking outside the square that I'm on about, not specific products.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

I was talking about the clips in general, not the Easyrig specifically. As I said, the main problem, regardless of the manufacturer, is the potential for the clips to self-release and especially the larger the clip. It's the self-release issue that concerns me the most. It may not ever have happened to you, but I've had it happen a number of times over the last 20 or so years.

Also, my post was intended to offer a solution for anyone that has experienced self-release issues, breakages or wants something that is definitely going to be secure, is easy to source and doesn't cost very much at all. It's an exchange of ideas, or thinking outside the square that I'm on about, not specific products.

Sure but you did specifically said your" Easy rig "clips broke and came undone when you put pressure on them.. in a couple of posts ..  I ,like everyone else, would have presumed you were talking about an Easy rig .. when  actually you weren't .. but an inferior knock off.. which would account for the clips being crap..  thats my point .. I wouldn't call a product by name as rubbish if its not actually the real item.. easy rig is not a general  term ,but the name of a very well known product..  thats all..

Edited by Robin Probyn
spelling

The name 'Easyrig' is pretty much generic nowadays. You Google or eBay the word and you'll come across all the copies before the genuine brand. I once went searching this and it appears that the maker of the genuine Easyrig never trademarked the name and so it is used quite widely.

But you're looking at things all wrong. There are many who have never had issues with any of these quick release clips, regardless of brand, but then there are those that have. It's no different to people saying that aftermarket batteries are crap, some are, some aren't. Or that some brand camera cages are crap because they cost $100 rather than $300-500. Or a copy of a Gitzo tripod is crap.

Manufacturers have been copying products designs for centuries, often improving on the original design or manufacturing process. That said, I very much suspect that the clips used in the genuine Easyrig are really no different to what's used anywhere else, they will all likely come from a Chinese factory. The way that you use your Easyrig may be the reason your clip has never come undone inadvertently while in use. Replacing my plastic clip with a metal one was a bargain to say the least.

When I bought my Easyrig, it cost Australian $350, while the genuine Easyrigs cost a minimum of Australia $3500. I had no idea whether the rig would be useful and how much I'd be using it, so spending 10x as much on a genuine brand product would have been insane. You can rent the genuine one for around $115/day, also insane. However, my Easyrig has worked perfectly, even after more than six hours in the field at an event, I haven't felt uncomfortable or tired and the unit has worked fine. And, as things have turned out, I'm using my Easyrig less and less now as I've reconfigured my camera setups after a lot of use and learned experience.

Im not trying to be on your case .. but easy rig is not a generic name ,its the name of a product ,Im very sure its a copyright name too..   and really to say the clips on an "easyrig" are sub standard is not correct .. when actually you had a knock off at 90% cheaper than the real one..  thats the reason you had them opening and breaking ..  not a huge deal .. but if I worked at easyrig I would want someone to flag up your comments .. 

14 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

I very much suspect that the clips used in the genuine Easyrig are really no different to what's used anywhere else, they will all likely come from a Chinese factory.

Well, I don't know about the Easyrig, but the clips on the Ergorig are made in the USA.

14 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

The name 'Easyrig' is pretty much generic nowadays. You Google or eBay the word and you'll come across all the copies before the genuine brand.

When I bought my Easyrig, it cost Australian $350, while the genuine Easyrigs cost a minimum of Australia $3500. I had no idea whether the rig would be useful and how much I'd be using it, so spending 10x as much on a genuine brand product would have been insane. You can rent the genuine one for around $115/day, also insane. However, my Easyrig has worked perfectly, even after more than six hours in the field at an event, I haven't felt uncomfortable or tired and the unit has worked fine. And, as things have turned out, I'm using my Easyrig less and less now as I've reconfigured my camera setups after a lot of use and learned experience.

You must have got lucky (in the same way you seem to be unlucky with buckles), because I've heard some proper horror stories about fake Easyrigs.

6 hours ago, Nezih said:

Well, I don't know about the Easyrig, but the clips on the Ergorig are made in the USA.

The genuine Easyrig is made in Sweden, so I have no idea where all the components are sourced, but I do suspect that some generic parts might come from China. Not that everything in China is crap, but my main concern with these clips is not breakage, but the way that they can come undone so easily. They aren't called quick release clips for no reason.

6 hours ago, Nezih said:

You must have got lucky (in the same way you seem to be unlucky with buckles), because I've heard some proper horror stories about fake Easyrigs.

I've heard those stories as well and they may be about some of the much cheaper units. The unit I have is surprisingly good (supported my 9kg+ rig without issue), the adjustment is positive and the fitting is quite comfortable. The only thing I did do was add extra padding in the back, as what it came with was not very thick, but it provided access via a zipper and was easy to modify.

As above, my bad luck with buckles is to do with their inadvertent opening when body pressure is applied in some situations. The buckle that now have is excellent.

I thought that I'd add this to support my general argument about the potential for these buckles to inadvertently open. Here's a US company making such buckles with a safety addition to prevent such opening: https://www.seattlefabrics.com/2-Shielded-Side-Release-Buckle_p_354.html. So I suspect that the issue isn't as uncommon as thought.

5 minutes ago, Run&Gun said:

One of my backpacks has a locking buckle.  

That's another way of doing it. I think that it shows that there is always the chance of one of these quick release buckles coming undone with application of just the wrong sort of pressure, say when leaning against the buckle or similar. And an interesting statement:

Introduced in 2017 is an industry 1st in probably 20 years. Sling packs especially need super-reliable buckle lock-up since the pack drops if they disengage. Every pack brand has used no locks or a stock lock-buckle. Ours is a better design that locks totally, can't disengage inadvertently, has big parts that are unlikely to fail/tolerate moulding flaws better, and is easy to repair. It also allows the male part to unlock the switch if in the locked-position.

Seems to validate what I was trying to point out (not bagging any particular product or manufacturer).

You've made some fair points. Without wanting to drag this out much further, the only thing I'd add is that most tactical military, law enforcement, and medical gear uses the regular plastic buckles... and the fact that they are so commonplace in those mission critical environments implies to me that they're mostly fine!

Sent off the front and back plates yesterday to exchange them for the original style with the roll adjustment.  It’ll probably be the middle of July by the time I get them with the shipping times, but then we’ll see if it helps make mine more useable for me.

• Like 1