Jump to content
Nathaniel Bockley

The Amira is Heavy for 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Plus you will have to carry a bunch of big batteries to get you through the day

 

That's very true, the Amira will eat through your battery supply much more quickly than any other comparable run & gun setup. If you're running and gunning on your own, this is something to be very aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Martin @Julien Power consumption is definitely very much higher than smaller cameras, but I guess that's the price of getting the Arri image processing and features of the camera. I have another thread where we talked a bit about the new micro/mini V-mounts where you can dual mount two 98wh batteries on a plate which isn't much bigger than a 150wh battery. Excellent choice when you're travelling etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The added time/effort required by needing more batteries for the Amira, is easily compensated for by the reduced time/effort required to light subjects you're shooting with it (in order to hold more highlight detail).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark K said:

The added time/effort required by needing more batteries for the Amira, is easily compensated for by the reduced time/effort required to light subjects you're shooting with it (in order to hold more highlight detail).

Eh? How does a nice highlight roll off mean you need to do less lighting on your subject? Doesn’t make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nezih said:

Eh? How does a nice highlight roll off mean you need to do less lighting on your subject? Doesn’t make sense.

The greater highlight latitude means you can get away with less power in your key light and still hold hot windows. It can also save you from having to bring in grad NDs or netting windows to balance your exposure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're assuming a very specific scenario / use case there. And it doesn't have more highlight latitude than many other cameras... it just rolls off in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nezih said:

You're assuming a very specific scenario / use case there. And it doesn't have more highlight latitude than many other cameras... it just rolls off in an aesthetically pleasing way.

There are plenty of examples and tests out there that do clearly show the additional latitude in stops above middle grey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, Nathaniel Bockley said:

For very involved documentary style shoots I find that I tend to get less creative or ambitious with shots towards the end of the day when using heavy cameras.

Yep. Depending on how brutal the day is, a heavy rig can start to wear you down over time, resulting in a little less energy put into getting the best shot. This is especially the case once you get older and start to really feel the abuse you've been putting your body through all those years operating a camera. If the rig is on sticks all the time, it's no big deal. But if you're getting creative, running around, getting on the ground, running up hillsides/slopes or going up and down stairs, a heavier rig does start to tax you towards the end of the day, no doubt.

I love the Amira and I've shot with it a lot. I think it's probably the easiest camera to use, ever. Everything works on it. Footage looks gorgeous. It's just a total workhorse and it delivers in spades. But I will say, I don't go climbing onto rooftops with it much. I use it when I know things are a bit more controlled. 

I was about to get an Amira when the C300 III was announced. I just grabbed one of those and tossed the Arri LUT on it. I'm as happy as a clam. After using this camera for the past two weeks, I could easily see the C300 III become the new industry standard for docs. It's that good. Also, I think Arri is going to update the Amira pretty soon. There are rumors they'll be releasing a new 4k sensor by the end of the year. And I bet your bottom dollar we're going to see prices on the current Amiras become verrrryyyy appealing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DcD said:

Yep. Depending on how brutal the day is, a heavy rig can start to wear you down over time, resulting in a little less energy put into getting the best shot. This is especially the case once you get older and start to really feel the abuse you've been putting your body through all those years operating a camera. If the rig is on sticks all the time, it's no big deal. But if you're getting creative, running around, getting on the ground, running up hillsides/slopes or going up and down stairs, a heavier rig does start to tax you towards the end of the day, no doubt.

I love the Amira and I've shot with it a lot. I think it's probably the easiest camera to use, ever. Everything works on it. Footage looks gorgeous. It's just a total workhorse and it delivers in spades. But I will say, I don't go climbing onto rooftops with it much. I use it when I know things are a bit more controlled. 

I was about to get an Amira when the C300 III was announced. I just grabbed one of those and tossed the Arri LUT on it. I'm as happy as a clam. After using this camera for the past two weeks, I could easily see the C300 III become the new industry standard for docs. It's that good. Also, I think Arri is going to update the Amira pretty soon. There are rumors they'll be releasing a new 4k sensor by the end of the year. And I bet your bottom dollar we're going to see prices on the current Amiras become verrrryyyy appealing. 

They are not going to announce a new Amira. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest rumors from Arri: A native 4K S35 sensor in a Alexa Mini (LF) form factor camera. So it's probably going to be more like a "Alexa Mini 4K", I guess.

Edited by Julien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Julien said:

Latest rumors from Arri: A native 4K S35 sensor in a Alexa Mini (LF) form factor camera. So it's probably going to be more like a "Alexa Mini 4K", I guess.

This is what Arri has said isn't it? I thought I read an interview somewhere.

Wether we'll se a direct replacement for the Amira in the near future is unlikely in my opinion. The Amira still fulfills it's market very well and so does the Alexa Mini still. As long as both those cameras are widely used in production both will continue to be very popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • New Posts

    • In my opinion, the LiteCloth LC-120 2 Light Kit is the best option. It is perfect for image-makers who want to travel with two big, broad, natural-looking lights that can fit into a small, strong, travel-friendly case. This LC-120 is a 120 Watt, 1x3 LED Mat that folds down to a 12"x12" square. This unique design allows the user to create, broad, bright, natural-looking light that can be set up fast and travel small.
    • I tried my luck with the F3 and an Atomos recorder but it seems that Atomos could not handle the "camera shy" way the F3 sends data to external recorders. It was misinterpreted as interlaced. Also in anamorphic mode the Atomos loses its ability to show vector scopes and lacks center crop. So you end up with a very, very wide but narrow sliver of an image. Impossible to pull focus on. I advise against using Atomos products with the F3. Or did they fix those issues?
    • Yeah each to their own as you say .. TBH when I bought an fx9 .. and embarked on my crusade to make everything smaller / lighter and just less gear in general .. I did think .. oh maybe I can work off that small screen and even not have the loupe .. in my dreams it sounded good !.. but soon realized it wouldn't work for me ..and the only way would be, as you do it , a bigger ,brighter monitor about 1ft in front, hung low where an EVF would sort of be .. but then I would use up an SDI / and have to power it etc .. so the loupe became the more light weight option .. and what I was used to anyway ..  but  of course no right or wrong .. as I say ,I mean I admire folk who can work that way .. I just dont think I can .. and old eye sight its a major draw back ..  
    • Maybe it’s because I have been shooting sports since the beginning, but I usually shoot with both eyes open, except for critical focus checks.
    • It's interesting and funny to see how personal preferences can differ. 😄 I agree that a 7" monitor up close to the face isn't ideal, that's why I mostly build my rigs with the monitor about 30 cm (like 12" I guess) away. This is comfortable enough to focus my eyes on, I can concentrate solely on the screen if I choose, plus it lets me see whatever else is going on around me, which can be crucial in some hectic scenarios. As for the third point of contact, that's true as well. My shots might even be steadier while using an EVF, I'm not sure. But as long as the camera has a certain weight to it (to minimize the micro-jitters, like you get from shooting handheld with a light camera), I'm convinced it looks just fine. All in all, I'm thankful that we do have such an enormous amount of options to fit everyone's needs and wants. Now it's up to each of us to find their specific preference.
×
×
  • Create New...