Using Cam link 4k by Elgato it is possible (with good results in my experience) to use a BMPCC4k as webcam.
In these times of pandemic webinars it's a good opportunity to increase the quality of your streaming capabilities.
BUT..
Yesterday I have seen the news thar both CANON and FUJI have announced an app to use DIRECTLY EOS and GFX & X series of cams as WEBCAM.
I wonder why BM with its proff in developing great applications (like my Davinci Resolve) does not devolep such a kind of application for its cameras using Usb c as output?
or better why not to add this feature as part of the operating system of the BM cameras (to be clear the best could be to be allowed to recond the footage directy on a PC not only on an external SSD and also to be allowed to make in the same time a streaming session - with ZOOM for example you can make a streaming and to save the footage on your PS or Mac)?

I doubt very much that it's in Blackmagic's interest to turn the likes of the BMPC4K into a Jack of all trades (like DSLRs try to be), it is after all a cinema camera. And with the ATEM Mini and Mini Pro available that provide so much better functionality with any camera, at a very good price, why fiddle with the cameras?

All of this virus stuff will blow over soon enough and life will return to normal, where people who really want good live streaming will use the tried and true solutions that are already available. All of this webcam stuff has arisen because the likes of the Cam link 4K were sold out. I notice that they are once again readily available.

I understand your opinion. I actually use CAM LINK 4K with my BMPCC4K as webcam. I do think that also when all will return to normal nothing will be the same and so the use of webinar expecially in academic field ( my field) will remain the same so allowing the use of good cameras for webinar will be something usefull also in terms od marketing I think.

In this landscape I dont think that such an addon will be useless also for BMPCC4K sells. I refer to BMPCC4K not to all the Cameras from BMD as this camera was presented ALSO for uses outside cinema.

In your case, getting an ATEM Mini Pro would definitely serve your needs a lot better than just having a camera able to act as a webcam. For the relatively low cost of the ATEM Mini Pro (especially the ATEM Mini), you'd be getting far more long-term quality, functionality and performance. To be honest, I think you're barking up the wrong tree wanting the BMPCC4K to act as a webcam.

Posted (edited)

As you noted, '...in times of pandemic'. But those times are slowing fading and you always will have the likes of the Elgato at a low cost to serve your needs. I think you're the first person that's asked for this feature, so clearly there isn't a call for turning a BMPCC4K/6K into a webcam.

I should also have noted that I don't know of any personal systems that can effectively stream 4K video to all and sundry from a personal computer to the wide world in real time. If it's an internal system then yes, but the internet is still so fragmented that I can't see it working well. So 1080p is a far better option (which probably get modified anyway) and few, if any, would notice the difference.

I've been watching news streaming stuff on TV for the last month and what the vast majority of people transmit is woeful, but no one minds.

Edited by Australian Image (Ray)

in this video made yesterday night (CET) you can see different type of webcam feed to my youtube channel with ZOOM PRO. My webcam (you can sse at the beginning) was my BMPCC4K connected to my PC with ELGATO CAM LINK 4K

Take a look and you can see by far the difference in term of quality (even if youtube processes the streaming only at 720p).

Posted (edited)

That looks more like people using built-in webcams or inexpensive USB ones. Any reasonable quality camera connected to an ATEM Mini is going to wipe the floor with those other options. The question is, are you going to buy everyone who participates a BMPCC4K to do 4K webinars if the BMPCC4K was a webcam?

If this is a regular event undertaken by numerous people, then you would clearly benefit from an ATEM mini issued to every participant, perhaps with a better, simpler, camera. A 1080p feed from the ATEM mini would make life far easier for everyone and still provide excellent video quality.

And, as I noted, the ATEM Mini is something that has far greater functionality and can be used with multiple cameras, where the BMPCC4K is just a camera. I think that you're focussed on the wrong solution to your problem. It's not the camera that's the issue (though it may be for some of your presenters) but your delivery system. You should also give some consideration to audio and lighting used by the presenters.

You need to consider how to make everyone look good.

Edited by Australian Image (Ray)

9 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

That looks more like people using built-in webcams or inexpensive USB ones. Any reasonable quality camera connected to an ATEM Mini is going to wipe the floor with those other options. The question is, are you going to buy everyone who participates a BMPCC4K to do 4K webinars if the BMPCC4K was a webcam?

If this is a regular event undertaken by numerous people, then you would clearly benefit from an ATEM mini issued to every participant, perhaps with a better, simpler, camera. A 1080p feed from the ATEM mini would make life far easier for everyone and still provide excellent video quality.

And, as I noted, the ATEM Mini is something that has far greater functionality and can be used with multiple cameras, where the BMPCC4K is just a camera. I think that you're focussed on the wrong solution to your problem. It's not the camera that's the issue (though it may be for some of your presenters) but your delivery system. You should also give some consideration to audio and lighting used by the presenters.

You need to consider how to make everyone look good.

well I'm thinking on to try to enanche the quality of my SUPERPROFESSIONAL (as contents and speakers - takea look at their names of GOOGLE) WEBINAR. The problem of different quality of the equipment used and the necessity to teach speakers to be more professional about lights and sound it is right BUT I want only to have a feature for my POcket easy to make I think and tha atem solution is not the right way to go as ELGATO exists