Christopher Rowe

Sony A7S3 - Autofocus with EF lenses via Metabones

Picked up my A7S3 last week and been testing it over the weekend - strange thing is, I can't get autofocus to work in video mode with EF lenses attached via Metabones IV. Works fine in stills mode with all the lenses I tested (Canon 24-70/2.8 L, 70-200/2.8 L, 24/1.4 L), and autofocus in video mode works with the same combination on the A73 and A7S2, so what's going on here? Is it just me, or are others experiencing this, too?
2 things I have already checked - Metabones firmware is up to date, and I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with settings in the camera, because autofocus works fine with E-mount lenses.

Chris
www.christopher-rowe.de

To Christopher:

Do you have tried to set the autofocus in contrast mode (instead of phase)? Also, does AF-S works (autofocus on a fixed point instead of continuous)?

I am planning to buy the A7SIII but I plan to reuse my Canon lens, so it would be insteresting that Metabones fix the bugs as soon as possible. I also suggest that you contact Metabones directly to check if they are working on a firmware update. They have certainly got an A7SIII for testing.

Thanks,

Jean

I saw some youtube tests and it seems that the autofocus with other lens only work on photo mode. For video use, you need Sony lens.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:41 PM, JVezina said:

I also suggest that you contact Metabones directly to check if they are working on a firmware update.

I don't think the Metabones is causing the problem, autofocus with EF lenses works very well in stills mode, but not in video mode. I'm hoping Sony will fix this with the next firmware update, unless of course it's a deliberate tactic to push sales of E-mount lenses

On 10/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, Christopher Rowe said:

I don't think the Metabones is causing the problem, autofocus with EF lenses works very well in stills mode, but not in video mode. I'm hoping Sony will fix this with the next firmware update, unless of course it's a deliberate tactic to push sales of E-mount lenses

Dear Mr Rowe,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, Metabones uses reverse engineering to program their adapters to "understand" the Sony codes and translate them into Canon commands and vice versa. When Sony releases a new camera, they only ensure that it conforms to the E-mount communication protocol which ir is more or less proprietary.

Since the A7S3 is a new camera, perhaps it uses a combination of commands that the Matabones adapter doesn't understand. The A7S2 used contrast based autofocus, which is slower but the A7S3 is using phase based autofocus. Possibly the commands passed to the lens are different and Metabones doesn't recognize them or simply reacts too slowly.

That's why Metabones will have to get an A7S3 and test it with their adapter to ensure that it understands the commands.

Regards,

Jean 

I had a friend test a Sigma lens using the Sigma MC-11 and they had the asme issue pop-up. Still photography is good but video AF either doesn't work, or hunts forever. Rendering it useless. Apparently this was an existing issue before the A7sIII was released as well.

Seems like the only solution is to use e-mount lenses.

53 minutes ago, Justin Allen said:

I had a friend test a Sigma lens using the Sigma MC-11 and they had the asme issue pop-up. Still photography is good but video AF either doesn't work, or hunts forever. Rendering it useless. Apparently this was an existing issue before the A7sIII was released as well.

Seems like the only solution is to use e-mount lenses.

Using any adapter with a third party lens is usually going to involve some compromise. 

Sorry my englihs. I have a Milvus Zeiss set and the aperture does not work with the Sigma MC 11 on the Sony a7s III. What can I do?

Hace 1 hora, Daniel peru dijo:

Lo siento mis ingleses. Tengo un equipo Milvus Zeiss y la apertura no funciona con la Sigma MC 11 en la Sony a7s III. ¿Que puedo hacer?

Todo está bien, fueron mis nervios. Lo siento