Gearhead Anonymous

Sirui 50mm Anamorphic - Affordable $700 and beautiful anamorphic

https://cf.sirui.com/Anamorphic-Lens.html

seeing videos shot with this and the BMP4k:

I think this lens is the start of the holy grail for me - an affordable anamorphic without having to spend $2k a day on rentals for a Kowa or using a crazy anamorphic rig.

Once this puppy is avail in PL or EF mount, then we can use it on the bigger s35 cameras like the alexa and red cameras and I think it will be a huge hit.

I'm hoping more companies also follow the lead.

Anamorphic is so beautiful - that bokah, the field of view - the fall off.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

2 hours ago, Gearhead Anonymous said:

https://cf.sirui.com/Anamorphic-Lens.html

seeing videos shot with this and the BMP4k:

I think this lens is the start of the holy grail for me - an affordable anamorphic without having to spend $2k a day on rentals for a Kowa or using a crazy anamorphic rig.

Once this puppy is avail in PL or EF mount, then we can use it on the bigger s35 cameras like the alexa and red cameras and I think it will be a huge hit.

I'm hoping more companies also follow the lead.

Anamorphic is so beautiful - that bokah, the field of view - the fall off.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I doubt they will make a S35 version. It is much cheaper to make a M4/3 lens and a lot easier to make an anamorphic that is this size. An S35 version wouldn't be affordable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I doubt they will make a S35 version. It is much cheaper to make a M4/3 lens and a lot easier to make an anamorphic that is this size. An S35 version wouldn't be affordable. 

but it's made for APS-C cameras like in the sony e mount  as they say on their site

13 hours ago, Gearhead Anonymous said:

but it's made for APS-C cameras like in the sony e mount  as they say on their site

Oh you are right, my bad. I didn't realize it was available in Sony E-mount. 

• Like 1

I'm no lens designer, but there may be an issue involving flange depth that prevents them making an EF or PL version.

A lot of lenses are made specifically for certain mirrorless mounts that simply cannot be produced for those (dare I say it?) perhaps soon-to-be-legacy systems. The Fuji MK 18-55/50-135 and assorted Sigma and Rokinon/Samyang glass come to mind, for example.

• Like 1