Sign in to follow this  

Mid Range Full Frame Zooms

Hi All,

I thought maybe in the spirit of Tokina's announcement of their new zoom lenses that only cover s35 I would reach out and see if anyone had any gems in terms of full frame zooms? 

I am in the process of receiving a Tokina AT-X  Pro f2.6 / f2.8 photography zoom which was based on an older Angenieux photography lens design. If it's a good lens it's crazy to think they produced something so fast 30 years ago and can't seem to replicate it now without a lot of bulk and expense. Kim Camera offer rehousing of that lens so we will see if it feels worthy of a rehouse.

I am sure someone will mention the Angenieux EZ series, personally I kind of feel like the skirt that middle range and I kind of found them a little uninspiring. To me the dream would be Canon's RF 28-70mm F2 lens produced by canon in a cine housing. Sigma style but if they can design out the focus breathing, which apparently is an optical design issue and not a mechanical... I may have asked around...

Hoping something unexpected and interesting might pop up. 🙂

All the best Michael 

I spent the afternoon yesterday playing with the Fujinon Premista 28-100mm helping a local rental house decide whether they want to buy the pair or not.. What a lovely range. Shame about everything else though. Standard Fuji, sharp, clean, no character. Perfect for some work I guess.

and lets not talk about the price.. 

Yup Premista is definitely out of my price range and hand held work would be intense with the weight. 😅

I've used the Zeiss Cinema Zoom lenses, and they're nice. I found them somewhat similar to CP.2s, as we used a set of them with the zooms. Those might be available used for a good price.