SmallHD Cine 7 Purple Edges issue?

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone has come across the issue of their SmallHD Cine 7 monitor's having purple fringing on the left and right edges of their monitor? It is really clear against a white background.

I received a second hand unit and noticed it and then I received a new receiver version of the Cine 7 and noticed it on there as well. I am just trying to figure out if I'm unlucky and need to replace both of them or if its an issue with the model? 

Cheers Michael 

IMG_0551_copy.jpg

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Michael L said:

Hi, 

I was wondering if anyone has come across the issue of their SmallHD Cine 7 monitor's having purple fringing on the left and right edges of their monitor? It is really clear against a white background.

I received a second hand unit and noticed it and then I received a new receiver version of the Cine 7 and noticed it on there as well. I am just trying to figure out if I'm unlucky and need to replace both of them or if its an issue with the model? 

Cheers Michael 

IMG_0551_copy.jpg

I have one and I haven't ever encountered that problem. I would be contacting SmallHD. 

Thanks for the reply Matt. Appreciate it. I did contact them and they will replace it for me but when I compared it to my new receiver model it looks pretty much the same. If you're not with a white background its harder to tell but it caught my attention because the menus were looking a bit purple on the edge with the first monitor. I might go into a store that stocks them... if they are open... and see if their models do the same thing. I have a feeling its probably a model issue or they have change panel suppliers. 😕

IMG_0561.jpg

I am onto my 2nd one. (First one was away for repair for sometime... and then failed again when it was returned.... finally Small HD replaced it with a replacement unit).

I have not noticed the purple  on mine at all.

(But, I really don't have any faith in the quality of these monitors anymore...)

I wish ARRI made a good quality on board monitor. Yes, it would probably be expensive but i would happily pay for something that is really well made, accurate and reliable. On board monitors are all over the price with consistency, and reliability. 

• Like 2

I went through 4-5 702 monitors when buying one a few years ago, as they all had a fault where a small blue line of pixels would randomly appear on screen for a couple of frames, disappear, then reappear somewhere else. Apparently they had a bad batch of panels from a new supplier that wasn't playing nicely with their firmware at the time, so can imagine this might be something similar. I don't think you can beat their monitors for functionality, design etc at the price point but they've always been a bit glitchy .

7 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I wish ARRI made a good quality on board monitor. Yes, it would probably be expensive but i would happily pay for something that is really well made, accurate and reliable. On board monitors are all over the price with consistency, and reliability. 

I guess there’s always Transvideo, Sony, and TVLogic for that.

45 minutes ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I don't think any of those are any better. 

ARRI themselves obviously disagree, in that they brought Transvideo's Starlight monitors into their ecosystem.

13 hours ago, Nezih said:

I guess there’s always Transvideo, Sony, and TVLogic for that.

We have several models from all of those brands. None of them are perfect. They all have issues unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Ben Ruffell said:

We have several models from all of those brands. None of them are perfect. They all have issues unfortunately.

Fair enough. of those, Sony is the one I have most experience with (mostly 17" PVM and LMD series and PVM-741... ok, not on-camera displays), and I've found them rock solid in terms of image quality. But the UI leaves a lot to be desired compared brands like SmallHD, Atomos, and Blackmagic. Everyone I know who uses Transvideo monitors rates them very highly to.

But happy to trust you if you've tried them all!

I'm always surprised by the fact that very expensive products often let themselves down with poor quality or poor quality control. Are they living off their brand name where once they may have been a premium product, but have allowed themselves to fall short due to excessive competition?

My first monitors, which I still have, were a Feelworld 5" and then a Feelworld 7" Ultra Bright monitor (2200 nit). Both have worked exceptionally well, though they are fairly basic (and quite inexpensive) compared to the Atomos Shinobi touch screen monitor (which I don't particularly like). If Feelworld had made a 5" Ultra Bright monitor, I would have bought that over the Atomos.

Mind you, my requirements are way less than most on this forum.

3 hours ago, Nezih said:

Fair enough. of those, Sony is the one I have most experience with (mostly 17" PVM and LMD series and PVM-741... ok, not on-camera displays), and I've found them rock solid in terms of image quality. But the UI leaves a lot to be desired compared brands like SmallHD, Atomos, and Blackmagic. Everyone I know who uses Transvideo monitors rates them very highly to.

But happy to trust you if you've tried them all!

Yeah, we have those Sony's in 17 and 7"... way too big for on camera! Very nice picture though.

The Transvideo's are very good... except when it get's cold. (and not even that cold... just around minus 5 or so...) then they have image freezing, lag and delay problems. So much so it's impossible to operate from.

Ray makes a good point. One of my favourite monitors was made by a Korean company called Bon. I guess we are all still looking for the perfect on-board still!

If I got two bum monitors in a row, I'd be discouraged and probably a little mad and questioning the brand.  But I will say that I have seven smallHD monitors (2x DP6's, 2x DP7Pro OLED's and 3x Focus 5" OLED's) and they've all performed admirably.  The only issue I've really had is my oldest and most used DP7Pro OLED(2013) finally started to experience some burn from the camera on-screen info.

Ive had pretty good value out of the Small HD focus SDI.. one cracked screen .. and one the whole interface went nutty .. like turning up side down.. suddenly zooming in 400% ..flipping between screens  just really weird .. needed a new screen.. but the menu susyemn is great .. had a TV logic.. very well built but clunky menu and low Nit.. I was traveling alot with the Focus monitors .. and the screen is fragile for sure .. but at the price ,and if your working  alot and they get a bit of a hammering ..well they are pretty much a consumable item... at the end of each year buy a new one.. just have to have a spare with you on a long shoot ..

Yes, the menu system is great, sorta.  The first time I used a friends 17” smallHD with their page OS menu system, I wanted to throw it in the trash.  Having the excellent touch screen DP7Pro OLED, the new menu was complete garbage. Completely unusable... As a non-touch screen system. Then when I got my first Focus 5 that is touch screen, it all of a sudden all came together and made perfect sense.

While we're on about monitor issues, I thought I'd elaborate why I've really started to dislike my Atomos Shinobi.

The main issue is the very slow startup and shut down process. Pressing the on/off button once gets the monitor going, but it takes around 10 sec before it displays what the camera sees (which take about 2 sec to start up/ shut down). If you have a blank SD card in the slot (because Atomos didn't provide a cover for the slot), it takes 20 sec to display what the camera sees.

Then when you want to turn the monitor off, you have to hold the on/off button for at least five seconds before it turns off. If you let go too soon, it won't turn off. This is really becoming a nuisance given that the button is so deeply recessed that it would be virtually impossible to turn off accidentally.

Being well aware of the specs before I bought the Shinobi, I thought I could live without it having a separate power input and just the battery slot. However, I'm finding it less than ideal having owned it for a while. Instead of an input to allow monitor calibration (why would you bother?), it could have had a power input socket instead (like every other, even dirt cheap, monitor). But I'll bet if it did have a separate power input, Atomos would have designed it in such a way that you couldn't have both connected at the same time.

And in reviews, no one talks about these issues.

• Like 1

I don’t want to side-track this post, but wanted to add one thing to my post about the Shinobi. While testing out my Zoom F6, I was kind of comparing things with the Atomos Shinobi and noted some stark comparisons.

Why did Atomos add an SD slot for LUTs and a port to colour calibrate the monitor? In all likelihood this is something that no one will ever even contemplate doing.  The Shinobi is a cheap monitor that will be used for composition, focus and exposure by someone who is running and gunning, not making a feature film.

If a producer wants to get an idea of how a scene is looking or will look to a large extent, I’m pretty sure that any DoP giving him a Shinobi to view what’s being filmed (that has proudly been colour calibrated and displaying a LUT), will quick smart have their ears and rear end burning.

Clearly the Shinobi is just there to try and get you to upgrade. But if I did, it wouldn’t be another Atomos monitor.

My two pence is that all monitors should have some calibration tools, and not enough do. Personally, it really annoys me being on a set with three or four different display devices that all look totally different. It can create a lot of confusion... especially if you’re in a situation where you don’t know which one is right.

4 minutes ago, Nezih said:

My two pence is that all monitors should have some calibration tools, and not enough do. Personally, it really annoys me being on a set with three or four different display devices that all look totally different. It can create a lot of confusion... especially if you’re in a situation where you don’t know which one is right.

That's a valid point, but would using the same brand of monitor provide a solution? The two Feelworld monitors that I have are both colour calibrated to REC. 709. There may be some variance, but nothing that I can discern.

7 hours ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

That's a valid point, but would using the same brand of monitor provide a solution? The two Feelworld monitors that I have are both colour calibrated to REC. 709. There may be some variance, but nothing that I can discern.

Maybe, but not always possible. For example... in my case, I'm talking about the difference between my Gratical Eye EVF, my SmallHD 5", my Sony 17", and my iMac.

There are no "same brand alternatives" that cover all those.

Granted, I'm well aware of the limitations and how I'll never get them all looking exactly the same... but I've been to great lengths to get them to look as close as I could. I just found myself frustrated that I couldn't get them closer: I hit a brick wall - either because they don't have any support for external calibration tools, or the settings in their menus are just very limited.

I wonder if it's even possible to get everything exactly alike, even if manufacturers followed industry standards and provided calibration tools. Try as I might, and I have an X-Rite Colour Munki calibration tool, I can't get my two monitors (laptop and stand-alone) to look exactly alike.

Very timely .. this was me a couple of days ago ..  some very high tech calibration in my studio high above the masses in Probyn Plaza ..  this method is only for those with a high level of training and complete command of the science involved .. and can make a decent cup of tea..

IMG_7740.jpg

I saw that! Were you just going by eye?

This was me a while back: 

11 hours ago, Nezih said:

I saw that! Were you just going by eye?

This was me a while back: 

Yes very rudimentary tweaking of the small HD focus I have as a wireless directors monitor .. it was always a bit green I thought ..  TBH the main purpose was just to drain my V lock batteries the 50% .. 

• Haha 1