Jump to content
Nezih

Aputure Nova P300c

Recommended Posts

Newsshooter article here: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/14/aputure-600d-and-nova-p300c-panel-updates/

Full presentation livestream here: https://www.facebook.com/Aputure/videos/243232403612427/

Looks excellent. If everything in the presentation film is to be believe this could be better than some industry leaders (but, in a way, that's understandable being that some of them are quite old now). Really great presentation.

Of course, let's wait for some reviews and real-world tests... shouldn't be too far away now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Nezih said:

Newsshooter article here: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/14/aputure-600d-and-nova-p300c-panel-updates/

Full presentation livestream here: https://www.facebook.com/Aputure/videos/243232403612427/

Looks excellent. If everything in the presentation film is to be believe this could be better than some industry leaders (but, in a way, that's understandable being that some of them are quite old now). Really great presentation.

Of course, let's wait for some reviews and real-world tests... shouldn't be too far away now.

It is heavy, draws 350W and doesn't have great output. Why would you buy one of these over something like a Luxli Taiko? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if you're purposely playing devils advocate, or you have some particular favouritism for the Luxli?

Your same question surely then applies to almost any other RGB led in this sort of world?

It's unlikely I'll get to do these sorts of tests myself, so until I've seen more extensive and comparative reviews from others (like you, perhaps) I'll reserve judgement, and hold off answering that question.

But things I'd query/consider:

• Quality of light
• Quality of colour (certainly with the assumption that RGBWW will be better than RGBAW)
• Projected lifespan
• Quality/accuracy of present "gels"
• Range/usefulness of effects
• Wireless control options (I think what Aperture are doing with SIG Mesh and Sidus and building an ecosystem for all their products is really great)
• Cooling
• Physical robustness and reparability (for rental houses and gaffers that'll be a big consideration)
• General build quality (buttons, dials, yoke screws etc). From the photos, the Luxli looks a little flimsy.
• Availability of modifiers (DOP choice and Chimera will have softboxes for the Nova... I'm not sure about Luxli Taiko options)
• Brand reputation and, more importantly perhaps, personal experience with a brand
• Individuals' specific needs / use cases

And as I said on Twitter, I wonder a) what Luxli (for example) have had to compromise to get the Taiko (for example) to that size and weight or what Aputure/Razyr/Litepanels etc are doing differently that's causing their products to be so much thicker/heavier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

doesn't have great output

At 3m, all in lux:

Neon
Daylight - 1100
Tungsten - 1000

Gemini
Daylight - 1079
Tungsten - 906

Skypanel S30-C
Daylight - 647
Tungsten - 663

Skypanel S60-C
Daylight - 1254
Tungsten - 1280

Kinoflo Freestyle 31
312

Kinoflo Celeb 450
655

So how is the output not great compared to these more expensive industry standards?

Sure, there are newer options that are brighter... like the Titan at 2250, but it's both bigger and much more expensive.

Taiko, it seems, haven't published their output photometrics yet. I can only find one figure of 9800 lux... but that could be at 1m for all I know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nezih said:

I'm not sure if you're purposely playing devils advocate, or you have some particular favouritism for the Luxli?

Your same question surely then applies to almost any other RGB led in this sort of world?

It's unlikely I'll get to do these sorts of tests myself, so until I've seen more extensive and comparative reviews from others (like you, perhaps) I'll reserve judgement, and hold off answering that question.

But things I'd query/consider:

• Quality of light
• Quality of colour (certainly with the assumption that RGBWW will be better than RGBAW)
• Projected lifespan
• Quality/accuracy of present "gels"
• Range/usefulness of effects
• Wireless control options (I think what Aperture are doing with SIG Mesh and Sidus and building an ecosystem for all their products is really great)
• Cooling
• Physical robustness and reparability (for rental houses and gaffers that'll be a big consideration)
• General build quality (buttons, dials, yoke screws etc). From the photos, the Luxli looks a little flimsy.
• Availability of modifiers (DOP choice and Chimera will have softboxes for the Nova... I'm not sure about Luxli Taiko options)
• Brand reputation and, more importantly perhaps, personal experience with a brand
• Individuals' specific needs / use cases

And as I said on Twitter, I wonder a) what Luxli (for example) have had to compromise to get the Taiko (for example) to that size and weight or what Aputure/Razyr/Litepanels etc are doing differently that's causing their products to be so much thicker/heavier.

I don't have any bias towards any lighting brand. My job is to be objective.

I have reviewed a large proportion of the available RGBWW 2x1 lights that are on the market, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Here are the facts: The Aputure is exceptionally heavy for a light that isn't even 2x1 in size. It is heavier than the Luxli Taiko and the Rayzyr MC400 MAX. The Nova is heavier (10.82 kg) than the Litepanels Gemini (10.1 kg). The Nova has dimensions  of 56.19cm x 45.7cm x 17.2 cm. The Gemini is 63.5cm x 31.8cm x 16.5 cm. So the Nova is not as big as any of these other lights and it is heavier. 

Power draw: Nova 350W, Litepanels Gemini 325W, Luxli Timpani 250W

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nezih said:

At 3m, all in lux:

Neon
Daylight - 1100
Tungsten - 1000

Gemini
Daylight - 1079
Tungsten - 906

Skypanel S30-C
Daylight - 647
Tungsten - 663

Skypanel S60-C
Daylight - 1254
Tungsten - 1280

Kinoflo Freestyle 31
312

Kinoflo Celeb 450
655

So how is the output not great compared to these more expensive industry standards?

Sure, there are newer options that are brighter... like the Titan at 2250, but it's both bigger and much more expensive.

Taiko, it seems, haven't published their output photometrics yet. I can only find one figure of 9800 lux... but that could be at 1m for all I know.

I do my own independent testing. I don't go on supplied data from companies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matthew Allard ACS come on mate, I wasn't for a second suggesting that you don't know what I'm talking about. You know full well I have a lot of respect for your extensive reviews. But I think you'd being rather blunt in your dismissiveness, and getting caught up on just size/weight without considering all the other aspects I listed above.

As for the photometrics... sure, it's great you have the privilege to test your self, but for 90% of people out their, manufacturer supplied data is all they will have to go on... so it's a pretty level playing field of data to work off. And the points stands, you said the Nova "doesn't have great output" and, using only data most people will have access to, I've show that it's not bad compared to much of the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aputure themselves compare the Nova to a Skypanel S30 not an S60. The output won’t be anything close to an S60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DcD said:

Aputure themselves compare the Nova to a Skypanel S30 not an S60. The output won’t be anything close to an S60.

I know, that's why I included both, because actually in some aspects it's kinda half-way between the two. But yes, S30-C is a better comparison overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

  • Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Aputure Nova (I own the 300D II which is a great light)
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Any others fixtures I should be looking at?

Many Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I do my own independent testing. I don't go on supplied data from companies. 

Sorry, I should have quoted you in the above post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Adam Levins said:

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

  • Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Aputure Nova (I own the 300D II which is a great light)
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Any others fixtures I should be looking at?

Many Thanks!

I'd consider the Rayzr too: https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/30/rayzr-mc-400-max-review/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adam Levins said:

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

  • Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Aputure Nova (I own the 300D II which is a great light)
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Any others fixtures I should be looking at?

Many Thanks!

Luxli Taiko

Lupo Superpanel Full Color 60

Litepanels Gemini

Rayzr MC400 MAX

The Nova isn't a 2x1. It is in between a 1x1 and a 2x1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Luxli Taiko

Lupo Superpanel Full Color 60

Litepanels Gemini

Rayzr MC400 MAX

The Nova isn't a 2x1. It is in between a 1x1 and a 2x1. 

Ok thanks. I also read your article that you just posted on NS which was an amazing help. Thanks for all you do! Adam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, Adam Levins said:

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

  • Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Aputure Nova (I own the 300D II which is a great light)
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Any others fixtures I should be looking at?

Many Thanks!

Just jumping in as a Litepanels Fan Boy. I own 1x 2x1 and 2x of their new 1x1 units. These are impressive fixtures. Only ever received praise from DoPs who are familiar with Arri Skypanels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see when the Nova is out and in the field how it performs and how it is to work with. I agree with some of you here that there are a lot of very good competitors on the market right now. All of the options are good, some better than others. I don't want to underestimate brand "loyalty" and brand recognition You should also not underestimate that the Nova will integrate into the wireless control scheme of Aputure. If you have a lot of Aputure products controlled by the app, the Nova could make a lot of sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 8:53 AM, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I do my own independent testing. I don't go on supplied data from companies. 

😍😍 Great .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Popular Topics

  • New Posts

    • What are people's general views on gimbals? I have a love/hate relationship with gimbals (I own two relatively lightweight ones) and, in the few years that I've owned them, I simply cannot get to like them. I've tried a cheap Glidecam clone and just hated it, as balancing it was always like trying to get a drunken wife into a car (been there, done that). The gimbals work fine, but they simply can't hold my run & gun rig that weighs 4.3 kg. There are of course gimbals that can hold that weight and newer ones that can do that without having to break down the rig for full movement, but you then end up with a huge weight to carry around (and I'm able to carry some fairly hefty weight). For the sort of work that I was doing before COVID, I was using an Easyrig clone to support a very heavy rig, but I subsequently reduced the weight to a nice 4.3kg and did away with the support (wandering around some places looking like a Ghost Buster started to wear thin). But there are times when I want to move about with the rig and get reasonably stable footage, which kind of points to a gimbal of some sort. Recently I did some testing with a counterweight system, by attaching my monopod to my rig, with the monopod extending horizontally from the rear of the camera (aligned with the lens). The results from the monopod experiment were actually quite surprising, giving an almost gimbal like movement with a bit of stabiliser added in post. Noting that I can't Ninja walk (more like Bobba Fett sitting on my shoulders) the results looked little different to shots using another camera on one of the gimbals. This could be an option with some practice. Gimbals are all the rage at the moment, but are they really an ideal option for documentary style work, which is my main aim? Has anyone come up with a portable solution that doesn't involve a gimbal?  
    • Do check requirements of any festivals you plan to submit to, as well as DCP specs. Many may be fine with whatever format, but some may be fussy. You may find capturing in 16:9 (but framing for 2.35:1) and then editing for 2.35:1 a safer option, so, if necessary, you can re-edit for 16:9 later down the line if required (may involve re-doing some “pan and scan”, but with the vertical alignment). Unless of course you’re shooting anamorphic, then you can’t do this and will need to crop your master heavily to create a 16:9 version. Also consider that, if theatrical release is intended, it’s unlikely to be 16:9, but rather DCI 4K or DCI 2K (1.89). So, if you can shoot in one of those formats instead of UHD/HD, then do! The few pixels of extra width will help you anyway if you’re going for a wider look, and will mean slightly less cropping of the height is needed (you’ll need to work out the correct crop to cut a 2.35:1 portion out of 4096x2160 or 2048x1080). Agree that creative intent is a part of choosing what to do here.  
    • Good luck with your new venture... and ask away away (in the appropriate sub-forum)!
    • I shot plenty of docs and doc style content in 2.35:1, here's a few examples. Ultimately I'd say its down to personal choice and what's best for the project. I picked 2.35:1 in these examples as it was my preference and suited the style of both pieces. Hope that helps...!  
    • I updated my FX9 firmware to version 2.0, and it appears to have broken color peaking. Normal peaking works, but color, b&w, etc. doesn't work. I primarily work on verite stuff, so I rely pretty heavily on color peaking. Anyone else have this issue?
×
×
  • Create New...