Nezih

Aputure Nova P300c

Newsshooter article here: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/14/aputure-600d-and-nova-p300c-panel-updates/

Full presentation livestream here: https://www.facebook.com/Aputure/videos/243232403612427/

Looks excellent. If everything in the presentation film is to be believe this could be better than some industry leaders (but, in a way, that's understandable being that some of them are quite old now). Really great presentation.

Of course, let's wait for some reviews and real-world tests... shouldn't be too far away now.

43 minutes ago, Nezih said:

Newsshooter article here: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/14/aputure-600d-and-nova-p300c-panel-updates/

Full presentation livestream here: https://www.facebook.com/Aputure/videos/243232403612427/

Looks excellent. If everything in the presentation film is to be believe this could be better than some industry leaders (but, in a way, that's understandable being that some of them are quite old now). Really great presentation.

Of course, let's wait for some reviews and real-world tests... shouldn't be too far away now.

It is heavy, draws 350W and doesn't have great output. Why would you buy one of these over something like a Luxli Taiko? 

I'm not sure if you're purposely playing devils advocate, or you have some particular favouritism for the Luxli?

Your same question surely then applies to almost any other RGB led in this sort of world?

It's unlikely I'll get to do these sorts of tests myself, so until I've seen more extensive and comparative reviews from others (like you, perhaps) I'll reserve judgement, and hold off answering that question.

But things I'd query/consider:

• Quality of light
• Quality of colour (certainly with the assumption that RGBWW will be better than RGBAW)
• Projected lifespan
• Quality/accuracy of present "gels"
• Range/usefulness of effects
• Wireless control options (I think what Aperture are doing with SIG Mesh and Sidus and building an ecosystem for all their products is really great)
• Cooling
• Physical robustness and reparability (for rental houses and gaffers that'll be a big consideration)
• General build quality (buttons, dials, yoke screws etc). From the photos, the Luxli looks a little flimsy.
• Availability of modifiers (DOP choice and Chimera will have softboxes for the Nova... I'm not sure about Luxli Taiko options)
• Brand reputation and, more importantly perhaps, personal experience with a brand
• Individuals' specific needs / use cases

And as I said on Twitter, I wonder a) what Luxli (for example) have had to compromise to get the Taiko (for example) to that size and weight or what Aputure/Razyr/Litepanels etc are doing differently that's causing their products to be so much thicker/heavier.

1 hour ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

doesn't have great output

At 3m, all in lux:

Neon
Daylight - 1100
Tungsten - 1000

Gemini
Daylight - 1079
Tungsten - 906

Skypanel S30-C
Daylight - 647
Tungsten - 663

Skypanel S60-C
Daylight - 1254
Tungsten - 1280

Kinoflo Freestyle 31

Kinoflo Celeb 450

So how is the output not great compared to these more expensive industry standards?

Sure, there are newer options that are brighter... like the Titan at 2250, but it's both bigger and much more expensive.

Taiko, it seems, haven't published their output photometrics yet. I can only find one figure of 9800 lux... but that could be at 1m for all I know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nezih said:

I'm not sure if you're purposely playing devils advocate, or you have some particular favouritism for the Luxli?

Your same question surely then applies to almost any other RGB led in this sort of world?

It's unlikely I'll get to do these sorts of tests myself, so until I've seen more extensive and comparative reviews from others (like you, perhaps) I'll reserve judgement, and hold off answering that question.

But things I'd query/consider:

• Quality of light
• Quality of colour (certainly with the assumption that RGBWW will be better than RGBAW)
• Projected lifespan
• Quality/accuracy of present "gels"
• Range/usefulness of effects
• Wireless control options (I think what Aperture are doing with SIG Mesh and Sidus and building an ecosystem for all their products is really great)
• Cooling
• Physical robustness and reparability (for rental houses and gaffers that'll be a big consideration)
• General build quality (buttons, dials, yoke screws etc). From the photos, the Luxli looks a little flimsy.
• Availability of modifiers (DOP choice and Chimera will have softboxes for the Nova... I'm not sure about Luxli Taiko options)
• Brand reputation and, more importantly perhaps, personal experience with a brand
• Individuals' specific needs / use cases

And as I said on Twitter, I wonder a) what Luxli (for example) have had to compromise to get the Taiko (for example) to that size and weight or what Aputure/Razyr/Litepanels etc are doing differently that's causing their products to be so much thicker/heavier.

I don't have any bias towards any lighting brand. My job is to be objective.

I have reviewed a large proportion of the available RGBWW 2x1 lights that are on the market, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Here are the facts: The Aputure is exceptionally heavy for a light that isn't even 2x1 in size. It is heavier than the Luxli Taiko and the Rayzyr MC400 MAX. The Nova is heavier (10.82 kg) than the Litepanels Gemini (10.1 kg). The Nova has dimensions  of 56.19cm x 45.7cm x 17.2 cm. The Gemini is 63.5cm x 31.8cm x 16.5 cm. So the Nova is not as big as any of these other lights and it is heavier. 

Power draw: Nova 350W, Litepanels Gemini 325W, Luxli Timpani 250W

3 hours ago, Nezih said:

At 3m, all in lux:

Neon
Daylight - 1100
Tungsten - 1000

Gemini
Daylight - 1079
Tungsten - 906

Skypanel S30-C
Daylight - 647
Tungsten - 663

Skypanel S60-C
Daylight - 1254
Tungsten - 1280

Kinoflo Freestyle 31

Kinoflo Celeb 450

So how is the output not great compared to these more expensive industry standards?

Sure, there are newer options that are brighter... like the Titan at 2250, but it's both bigger and much more expensive.

Taiko, it seems, haven't published their output photometrics yet. I can only find one figure of 9800 lux... but that could be at 1m for all I know.

I do my own independent testing. I don't go on supplied data from companies. 

@Matthew Allard ACS come on mate, I wasn't for a second suggesting that you don't know what I'm talking about. You know full well I have a lot of respect for your extensive reviews. But I think you'd being rather blunt in your dismissiveness, and getting caught up on just size/weight without considering all the other aspects I listed above.

As for the photometrics... sure, it's great you have the privilege to test your self, but for 90% of people out their, manufacturer supplied data is all they will have to go on... so it's a pretty level playing field of data to work off. And the points stands, you said the Nova "doesn't have great output" and, using only data most people will have access to, I've show that it's not bad compared to much of the competition.

Aputure themselves compare the Nova to a Skypanel S30 not an S60. The output won’t be anything close to an S60.

1 minute ago, DcD said:

Aputure themselves compare the Nova to a Skypanel S30 not an S60. The output won’t be anything close to an S60.

I know, that's why I included both, because actually in some aspects it's kinda half-way between the two. But yes, S30-C is a better comparison overall.

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

• Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Aputure Nova (I own the 300D II which is a great light)
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Any others fixtures I should be looking at?

Many Thanks!

12 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I do my own independent testing. I don't go on supplied data from companies. 

Sorry, I should have quoted you in the above post. 

52 minutes ago, Adam Levins said:

Matt. Did you run your own photometries on the Luxli Taiko? I am curious how it stacks up. B&H claim specs of 15,500 lux at 2.99' / 0.91 meters and the Neon is around 1000 at 3 meters. I wonder how closely they compare in the real world. 

Going to buy a couple of these s60 style lights soon and trying to figure out which brand to go with. My shortlist is:

• Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Many Thanks!

I'd consider the Rayzr too: https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/30/rayzr-mc-400-max-review/

8 hours ago, Adam Levins said:

• Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Many Thanks!

Luxli Taiko

Lupo Superpanel Full Color 60

Litepanels Gemini

Rayzr MC400 MAX

The Nova isn't a 2x1. It is in between a 1x1 and a 2x1. 

13 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Luxli Taiko

Lupo Superpanel Full Color 60

Litepanels Gemini

Rayzr MC400 MAX

The Nova isn't a 2x1. It is in between a 1x1 and a 2x1. 

Ok thanks. I also read your article that you just posted on NS which was an amazing help. Thanks for all you do! Adam 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, Adam Levins said:

• Luxli Taiko 2x1 RGBAW
  • Litepanels Gemini 2x1

Many Thanks!

Just jumping in as a Litepanels Fan Boy. I own 1x 2x1 and 2x of their new 1x1 units. These are impressive fixtures. Only ever received praise from DoPs who are familiar with Arri Skypanels.

We'll see when the Nova is out and in the field how it performs and how it is to work with. I agree with some of you here that there are a lot of very good competitors on the market right now. All of the options are good, some better than others. I don't want to underestimate brand "loyalty" and brand recognition You should also not underestimate that the Nova will integrate into the wireless control scheme of Aputure. If you have a lot of Aputure products controlled by the app, the Nova could make a lot of sense.