Nezih

Aputure 600d + F10 Barn Doors

Newsshooter article here: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/14/aputure-600d-and-nova-p300c-panel-updates/

Full presentation livestream here: https://www.facebook.com/Aputure/videos/243232403612427/

Looking really good!

Not that I need it myself, but it's cool how they're incorporating so many features such as Sidus Link, standard 5-in DMX, ART-NET ethernet control, and wireless DMX. Also the PSU is impressive (despite being huge) in that it can run at 50% on 14V batteries (100% on higher voltage batteries), and even charge batteries too! The fact that it's fully whether sealed yet also has silent fans is impressive too.

New fresnel lens and barn doors look mighty, And really cool to hear that is made directly from Facebook Group user feedback (something Aputure are really good at).

Good SSI scores too.

Looking forward to some reviews and real-world tests when it's closer to release.

Very intrigued. But what's the advantage of such a big fresnel? Seems like a pain to transport. 

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

Very intrigued. But what's the advantage of such a big fresnel? Seems like a pain to transport. 

Depends if you're a small one man band, or if you have a whole truck of gear.

Advantages, I believe, are more accurate projected image circle, better quality, cleaner shadows.

@Peter from Brandon at Aputure:

The F10 will give you a soft hard light, and more output than the Fresnel 2X. That's correct. Some people might not opt to use it though since the F10 is so large, and if you did want to tilt the 300d, you would need a c stand arm, because it doesn't have the tilted yoke.

The more lengthy description comes from the history of tungsten and him fresnels in the industry. Depending on the brand you are working with (arri or Mole) you have to step up to a 2K or 5K tungsten Fresnel to get a 10" lens. The reason people like these larger lenses in particular, is to use them directly on talent's faces. Since the larger a source is, the softer the light output is, the same law of physics still stands for hard lights like Fresnels. The light and shadow still remains hard because there is no diffusion, however, the larger source looks a tad softer and more flattering than a smaller Fresnel.

I remember the increase in 300d II output with an F10 vs an F2x being like 30% or something, but I need to double check. However all rear focusing lenses have a maximum size for which they're best suited before their efficiency starts to go down.

Even at 10 inches, that's still going to be too harsh to use on a subject's face without diffusion... 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Even at 10 inches, that's still going to be too harsh to use on a subject's face without diffusion... 

There's a place for these units. Often we shoot Arri Compact Fresnels through windows to simulate direct sun entering the room. Could even go for hard body hits, shapes through cookies, etc

That being said, always nice to start with a bigger source when diffusing. It's one of the reasons 5k and 10k tungsten fresnel fixtures are so popular, because they're quite large to begin with.

From the article:

When combined with the Aputure LS 600d, the fixture can output over 200,000lux at 1 meter.

That's incrediable if true. Not too sure if this is at full spot though. Arri D12 1.2kw Fresnel outputs 592500 lux at full spot (http://calc.arri.de/calculator).

Edited by Kyle

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peter said:

A friend of mine used to shoot a lot of movie press junkets for various studios and said they almost always lit the male actors with direct 650 fresnels.  I was shocked and questioned him on it and he said that's what they liked.  

Edited by Run&Gun

This is the light I've been waiting for. It balances that perfect line between output, power consumption and size.  Push a couple of these into an 8x or a 12x and you've got a soft source that is more powerful than an M18. Throw the spotlight mount on one and you have a legitimate Jo-Leko.  Attach a 5' soft box to the front and you have a clean, portable setup that can be moved by a single person and is larger and softer than anything you'll find on a Skypanel. Once you start working with decent output, it really is hard to go back. The more power, the more versatile it is, the more you can diffuse the light and the larger and softer you can make the source. This allows you to keep the light farther away from the talent and do things you could never do with smaller fixtures. If the spectral distribution and color rendition is good on this light, I think we're about to see a new industry standard. 

Posted (edited)

I have been waiting for a affordable fixture to replace my Joker 800s, this may be it.   The one issue I found testing the 300d MkII was these flat faced COB units do not fill something like a Chimera M softbox like a Joker does as the Joker lamp sticks out in to the middle of the box so it lights the entire interior.

Do Aputure have a small frosted dome that can go over the front of the chip?  I can’t see anything like that on their site. Many pro flash units that also have flat faces uses this technique to fill the box, like this unit from Profoto.

https://profoto.com/us/products/lights/studio-packs/heads/prohead-plus

Bravo Aputure for their fast development and for listening to their users.

Edited by Oddball
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Back in the day they may have done that. I doubt they do that anymore. 

In movies and TV dramas it's VERY common to see men lit with harsher side-on light that creates shadows on the face, and women to be lit with more delicate global soft light: even in the same scene when they're in the same room talking to each other!

I once saw a really good video where someone had cut together loads of examples, but I can't find it now... just found this instead - https://www.jstor.org/stable/3877750?seq=1

@Kyle yeah, the 200,000 lux is at full spot, I think. But on their Facebook group there's a little discussion about this because the specs on the website say less than what was announced in the presentation. Let's see...

8 minutes ago, Gearhead Anonymous said:

very excited about the 600d - curious if they will make a bi-color 600x?

I wouldn't get your hopes up. If they do, it'll probably have less power output and take at least another year to arrive, if not longer.

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

Do Aputure have a small frosted dome that can go over the front of the chip?  I can’t see anything like that on their site. Many pro flash units that also have flat faces uses this technique to fill the box, like this unit from Profoto.

No, they don't. But any Bowens mount accessory should work. But obviously, if you tied up the mount with a dome like that you won't then be able to attach a softbox.... unless you had some sort of speedring with the frosted dome attached to it.

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

I have been waiting for a affordable fixture to replace my Joker 800s, this may be it.   The one issue I found testing the 300d MkII was these flat faced COB units do not fill something like a Chimera M softbox like a Joker does as the Joker lamp sticks out in to the middle of the box so it lights the entire interior.

Does your Chimera have an inner baffle? I’ve seen a lot of Chimeras without them. A baffle should distribute the light evenly across the rag on the softbox. For example, a Lupo Superpanel 60 only has a 40 degree beam and would definitely cause a hot spot.  But the inner baffle on an Octa 5’ softbox diffuses the light before it hits the rag and allows the beam to fill the entire box...

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nezih said:

@Kyle yeah, the 200,000 lux is at full spot, I think. But on their Facebook group there's a little discussion about this because the specs on the website say less than what was announced in the presentation. Let's see...

Oh right. Full spot (1m) on M8: 405,000 lux. Full spot on 575 HMI Fres: 321,500 lux. They've mentioned this to be both 800w and 1.2kw HMI replacements.  So really not quite there yet as a replacement for the 575 even. Will have to wait for independent tests.

Just looking at this as a Gaffer + Gear operator and how it compares to my HMIs. Reality is that if it can't compete with at least a 575 it's less likely to be pulled out on a daylight location shoot.

Edited by Kyle