Australian Image (Ray)

Contrast Reducing Filters

Everywhere you look, the likes of the Tiffen Black Pro Mist filter is recommended to reduce the harshness of digital sensors to provide that 'film' look. However, I came across an interesting article from 2015 that talks about, amongst other things, the Black Pro Mist and that it's not the best filter for digital sensors: https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/content/entry/4071/its-time-sharpen-your-diffusion.

I don't own any such filters at this time, but I'm considering the options; however, this article seems to go against all the current hype (?) about Black Pro Mist and similar filters. Way back in my old film (stills) days, things such as black and clear stockings (as well as Vaseline etc) were the go to products for softening harsh highlights and whatnot, but those days have somewhat passed. Maybe they might be worthwhile revisiting. Anyway, what are people's real world experiences with filters such as the Black Pro Mist, especially if you use older lenses and not the ultra-sharp and contrasty lenses that seem to be the go today?

Interesting. I received my NiSi 4x5.65 clear optical glass filter (AU$40) and I intend to play around with some DIY effects to see what happens. Since there's not much that we can do in this lockdown, I thought I'd play around and see if these very expensive filters can be emulated. Genuine Black Pro Mist filters in the 4x5.65 size are around AU$600, a similar NiSi one is close to AU$500.

Real cinematographers only use black Fogal Nobelesse 110 silk stockings  (which I think haven't been made in years) glued to the rear of the lens. 

But you know there is a whole other group of filters that specifically cut contrast? Tiffen makes a bunch and I believe Schneider does as well. 

In my film days it whatever was (literally) lying around would suffice.

Yes, there seems to be another option available just about every week. Polar Pro is apparently now producing such filters, as part of their highly sought after PMVNDs, to lighten the pockets of keen videographers.

However, there's no way that I could ever justify the assembly of filters Matt displayed in the link that he provided.