Erik A.

Leica R lenses on Monstro VV

Hey everyone - not sure if I should’ve posted this here or the Red page, but alas. COVID-19 dependent, I have a potential project that I may be mandated to use the Monstro VV for, and I’ve never used it. I have a very nice, very late-era set of Leica R primes that I use frequently and would be good visually for this piece. 

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of what the widest Leica R lens is that will cover the Monstro sensor? They’re all full frame lenses and I wouldn’t go wider than my 19mm, which I’d guess is iffy. Next widest is a 28, which I assume would cover without issue. 

5 hours ago, Erik A. said:

Hey everyone - not sure if I should’ve posted this here or the Red page, but alas. COVID-19 dependent, I have a potential project that I may be mandated to use the Monstro VV for, and I’ve never used it. I have a very nice, very late-era set of Leica R primes that I use frequently and would be good visually for this piece. 

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of what the widest Leica R lens is that will cover the Monstro sensor? They’re all full frame lenses and I wouldn’t go wider than my 19mm, which I’d guess is iffy. Next widest is a 28, which I assume would cover without issue. 

They should all cover an Image Circle 43.4mm, even the 19mm. The Monstro VV has an image circle of 46.31mm. Some of the wider lenses may have slight vignetting. 

6 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

They should all cover an Image Circle 43.4mm, even the 19mm. The Monstro VV has an image circle of 46.31mm. Some of the wider lenses may have slight vignetting. 

Thanks Matt, I think I should’ve been a bit more clear - I meant to ask which of them might have the slight vignette? Would I probably be safe with a 28mm to not have any vignetting? 

Thanks Mark, that does illustrate things well. I had used them on a Venice on a shoot or two but the widest I think I used was 28 or 35mm and saw no real vignetting issue in on-set application. Would love to see a similar test with Monstro VV.

4 minutes ago, Erik A. said:

Would love to see a similar test with Monstro VV.

DXL2 has the same sensor as the Monstro VV so coverage would be the same.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark Broadbent said:

DXL2 has the same sensor as the Monstro VV so coverage would be the same.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. OK then, that's perfect! Thanks.