Jonathon Sendall

Remote Shooting, Clients, Social Distancing for Crew

I thought I might start this convo as we might be affected for quite a while on the various elements in the title I've created. There are some documents flying around on best practices with crew and shooting (I'll try and find them and post them here) but I thought I'd start as I'm about to spend some some money on creating a small studio for remote shooting and creating a better quality post suite.

POST from another thread when it was suggested I start a new post.

"This opens up the idea of remote working which I'm thinking of doing anyway. Part of my business unit can be adapted to doing really good work at table top level but can also shoot head to toe. It's a small studio but doable. I also have an access to a drive in studio only one street away at really good prices. It is large enough to shoot and socially distance at the same time.

I've also thought about pushing my edit suite to a better spec, again so that remote working can be achievable. The colour grading screen I can move to the small studio when shooting colour critical work. Thinking of setting up some kind of video access for clients so they can constantly see set ups etc.

What I wanted to ask was if people are thinking the same thing? Will remote shooting be a new thing for quite a while? Is this a good business move?"

Surely remote shooting is only possible for a small handful of things?

I know one of my regular clients (a handful of jobs a year for the last few years) involves filming quick PTCs with celebrities. Usually I either go to their house (because the client doesn't want to inconvenience them) or we book a studio close to where they happen to be working that day anyway, or close to where they live (as it usually only takes two hours of their time). So I'm always doing them in different locations.

How could I do something like that remotely?

There is usually me, autocue op, HMU, and sometimes sound recordist, the client always want to attend as it's a useful opportunity for them to cosy up to the celebrities and thank them for their time. I'm sure they'd want to avoid doing that remotely as much as possible. Sure, they could... but there would still need to be at least three crew in the room, I think... so what difference does an extra one or two (client) make?

I',m trying to think about what sort of shoots could take place with no one in attendance except a camera op/DP who is also directing, with everyone else remote... and I think the list is actually quite small.

Here's a few interesting links. First is a webinar about post and production. How useful it's going to be? Who knows.

https://dir.nabshowexpress.com/8_0/sessions/session-details.cfm?scheduleid=1815

Protocols for interviews.
https://www.productionhub.com/blog/post/safety-guidelines-for-filming-interviews-live-streams-during-the-covid-19-crisis

Plus I've attached BECTU working document on protocols. Haven't gone though it yet.

Anyway a few to start of with.

As to remote working then having a small studio is a totally different situation than working on location of course. I'm just wondering how much of a smart move it's going to be for me. But here's where technology can help. Remote controling the camera for one, while the interviewee etc is in the room. That's just a small example of what can be thought about.

JPS

Safe Working on Film Shoots Under Limited Covid-19 restrictions v4 24Apr20.pdf

Also, today, this: https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcasters/government-confirms-socially-distanced-film-and-tv-production-can-resume/5149754.article

"Film and television production in the UK are permitted to restart providing all involved abide by social distancing guidelines, the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has confirmed to broadcastnow’s sister site screendaily.com"

"The full Covid-19 Secure guidelines will be published later this week, and productions will have to comply fully with them to be allowed to restart."

Hopefully this doesn't cause a mad rush of people doing things unsafely...

Latest BECTU Film & TV Recovery Plan (Safe Return to Work Practices) available now via this link, up to date as of today 15/05/2020:

https://bectu.org.uk/article/film-tv-recovery-plan/

N.B. BECTU are asking that you only share the link to this web page and not directly to the PDF itself as this is a live, working document that will continue to be regularly updated over the coming weeks. The version control can be seen on the first page of the PDF too.

Alongside this, there is a separate British Film Council (BFC) document that is currently still in consultation and is likely to be referred to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport on/around 28th May after review by the Health & Safety Executive.