Matthew Allard ACS

There has never been a better or worse to to buy gear

Posted (edited)

Weirdly since reading this article ,Ive ordered more gear !.. nothing massive .. but basically you just need to have that thrill of something in the post .. !.. admittedly this could be that I have a sad and  lonely life .. 

Edited by Robin Probyn
spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

DON'T FEEL BAD.  What is right for me or right for Gayle may not be right for you. You are in business to make your own choices - be they good or be they ill-conceived.  Usually, you'll know what's the right thing to do even if it hurts.  Do you know the definition of stress?  It's when the gut says no and the mouth says no-problem.  How many times have we all made that mistake.  Anyway, I'm so happy for you!  May your new purchase recharge your resolve to be a better shooter.

Edited by Jim Mitchell

1 hour ago, Jim Mitchell said:

DON'T FEEL BAD.  What is right for me or right for Gayle may not be right for you. You are in business to make your own choices - be they good or be they ill-conceived.  Usually, you'll know what's the right thing to do even if it hurts.  Do you know the definition of stress?  It's when the gut says no and the mouth says no-problem.  How many times have we all made that mistake.  Anyway, I'm so happy for you!  May your new purchase recharge your resolve to be a better shooter.

too late for me to be better .. just drink gin and wait for the fedex van..   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin Probyn said:

too late for me to be better .. just drink gin and wait for the fedex van..   

Ha, just to satisfy my "arrived in the post" feeling I got myself an Insta360 One. Great little camera but shall mainly be using for the motorbike but it has got me thinking about what I can do with it story wise in these times.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, Matthew Allard ACS said:

I totally agree. 

I agree, too - though I try not to have clients like that anymore who tell you what brand name tools to have in your construction belt.  Starting out - you may not have a choice except to play the game for which you are paid to dance.

6 minutes ago, Jim Mitchell said:

I agree, too - though I try not to have clients like that anymore who tell you what brand name tools to have in your construction belt.  Starting out - you may not have a choice except to play the game for which you are paid to dance.

I've always found this aspect of the film/photography industry as somewhat intriguing. Does anyone ever demand that a plumber, electrician, carpenter, surgeon, dentist etc use specific tools before they are prepared to engage them?

There is a syndrome nobody's touched upon. First time I shot with a Golden Panaflex, I took outrageous shots. Just holding such a superb piece of equipment between my hands was almost as exhilarating as a much-needed bowel movement.  Yeah.  You take more time with each setup.  You craft.  You feel the quality.  It's the same thing as when you go from a Nikon or a Cannon (or choose your brand) and you pick up a Fuji GFX100 medium format camera for the first time.  The thing is heavy, you feel the build quality and you can still smell the freshness out of the box.  The glass just feels superior rolling focus.  You take more time in composition before depressing the magic button.  How many have experienced this syndrome in a camera or in a tracked dolly?  In the day you'd say to yourself, "Vilmos Zsigmond, eat your heart out."  Come on - fess up.  You know what I'm talking about.

7 minutes ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

I've always found this aspect of the film/photography industry as somewhat intriguing. Does anyone ever demand that a plumber, electrician, carpenter, surgeon, dentist etc use specific tools before they are prepared to engage them?

No  -  but that's because you can jump on the RED site and be knowledgeable in 15 minutes. And it's so incredibly cool to know stuff about cameras.  There's no need (or certainly no desire) to learn about an endoscope for performing arthroscopic surgery.  And as soon as you start to get good at what you do, some 12-year old comes along and has your lunch.  Then, you learn humility, aye?

52 minutes ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

Exactly! It is not about he gear, it is the person using it. Put me in an F1 car and I would lap slower than I would in a Prius. 

14 minutes ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

Exactly! It is not about he gear, it is the person using it. Put me in an F1 car and I would lap slower than I would in a Prius. 

I was very fortunate in my news and sports days that no one ever questioned my gear because my results thankfully spoke for themselves. I admit that I started off pretty raw, but more than just learning my gear and its shortfalls, I especially learned the sports (my main job) so that I could anticipate every shot and never had to spray and pray.