Erik Naso

Aputure shows new 60w Light Storm 60d and bi-color 60x fixtures and more

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/07/aputure-shows-new-60w-light-storm-60d-60x-bi-color/

The 60d looks like a very nice thought out fixture. I like the design and how rugged it is. Aputure has been building much more rugged lights with every release. The new Spotlight Mini looks nice as well. What do you think? Oh and the RGB lightbulb has been redesigned. I figured something was up as I saw it at NAB 2019?  

I think they look great, and another solid option in this sector.

I'd like to see some more details tets showing relative output and how the projected image circle looks in spot/flood .

If it's better than my current option in this range (Fiilex P360 Pro Plus) and the price is right (and I think I can sell my Fiilex) I may consider switching. I love the compact size of the Fiilex, and I really like that they have green/magenta hue control (it's actually proved very useful a few times) - but I yearn for a more refined projection circle (I know this is a challenge with LED fresnels) and a little extra brightness.

Copied from my comment on the main site:

Yeah, the fact that Dedolight have managed to get their LEDs to focus to such small sizes (4° for the DLED-4, and 8° for the DLED-7) is really standout. I'm not aware of any other brands who have managed that. And the image circles are pretty sharp (though still nowhere near as sharp as a DLH-4.

Although Dedo lamps are excellent quality it's a hard sell for many given how much more expensive they are, and a lot of that is just for the power supply, which is external (whereas so many lamps of this size are now internal).

Also, on the plus side, the Aputure 60d looks to be 12,000lux brighter than a DLED-7 (D) at 1m full spot. How much of a big deal that is in "real world" environments is hard to tell.

When I bought my two Fiilex P360PP I ummed and ahhed for ages about spending the extra to get two DLED-7s instead. The Focus on the Fiilex is nowhere near as good, but overall they won me over with compactness (no bulky external PSU), nice softboxes (that I use loads) , and good bi-colour with magenta/green control.

Very curious to see these Aputures in action though.

I think Aputure started to get into its stride when it separated itself into a lighting (Aputure) and audio (Deity) company. The quality of products seems to have improved significantly since that time. I have some Aputure lighting gear and Aputure branded audio gear.

8 hours ago, Nezih said:

Copied from my comment on the main site:

I'm excited about the spotlight mini for the LS bi-color the most. I haven't (to date) found a truly good LED equivalent to a Source 4 that isn't compromised for traveling field work in some way. The color on the LED ETCs themselves and other ones like them isn't great and the fan is problematic. LED engines like BBS's Force 4/7s are quite expensive, back-heavy and very oddly shaped, which makes casing them and mounting them places difficult. And none of them have a zoom feature, which is why I LOVED the tungsten Source Four Jr. Zooms. If this isn't too bulky, I'm in on it for sure. 

Also, I have to say that the Dedo DLEDs are phenomenal. I bought my first ones back in 2014 or 15, which is an ETERNITY ago in LED fixture terms. They haven't just held up, they're used on EVERY shoot in some way, though I've since rounded out with the newer bi-color DLED 7's. The focusing and the control, both in the clean-beam and narrow spot, is more useful than I imagined and reminiscent of Source Fours. They don't have the features of newer units, like the +/- green or app control, but honestly I haven't missed it. They are, by some distance, my favorite accent or background light. I have zero regrets in paying the money for them.

I'd also love to know what their color science methodology is, as their color rendition is also excellent. I know there are units that technically score (marginally) better on color, but it almost seems as if dedo designed their color performance to play well across different camera sensors and to better match the spectrums of other popular units like HMIs or Kinos. I've used them with countless other fixtures and cameras and they've always blended really well, regardless of the camera brand or other lights/ambient lighting conditions. Given Dedo's attention to detail, I'm thinking that's not a happy accident. Curious if anyone else who's used them feels the same.

I've always wondered what the mini Source 4s from ETC are like. They look so nifty! But the specs in terms out output and colour rendition just don't seem to be on par with fixtures designed for video/photography. A shame really.

What I do however constantly find myself wondering is how ETC have managed to make a fixture like that, with the leko style lens built in (proper lens, shutters, iris, gobo slot) yet aside from the Aputure add-on no one in the cinema/photography world has done anything remotely similar.

It's utterly bizarre to me.

With the prevalence of panel lights, and the popularity of soft light (justified popularity, mind) it feels like a lot of people have forgotten about the value of spot lights, and a whole generation has entered the world of lighting probably having never used a spot light!

As I worked in events (and a little theatre) a lot at the time I was entering the video production industry I obviously used spots and proper fresnels a lot... and actually kinda miss them.

I'd love to see something like the ETC Source 4 mini LED, but with the brightness and colour quality that we've come to expect from cinema/video oriented fixtures. I almost wish that's what Aputure had done here... made it a dedicated all-in-one spot fixture.

The only other option I've come across is that Hive Lighting have a partnership with ETC, and there is a Source 4 mini lens available for one of their lights. But I've never seen one in the flesh, haven't seen any good reviews, and haven't come across anyone who owns one.

I find myself wondering if that lens would work on other LED lights (like my Fiilex P360PP) if the mount could be adapted! I almost bought one just to test...

Everything you say about Dedos is right, I think.

1 hour ago, Nezih said:

I've always wondered what the mini Source 4s from ETC are like. They look so nifty! But the specs in terms out output and colour rendition just don't seem to be on par with fixtures designed for video/photography. A shame really.

What I do however constantly find myself wondering is how ETC have managed to make a fixture like that, with the leko style lens built in (proper lens, shutters, iris, gobo slot) yet aside from the Aputure add-on no one in the cinema/photography world has done anything remotely similar.

It's utterly bizarre to me.

With the prevalence of panel lights, and the popularity of soft light (justified popularity, mind) it feels like a lot of people have forgotten about the value of spot lights, and a whole generation has entered the world of lighting probably having never used a spot light!

As I worked in events (and a little theatre) a lot at the time I was entering the video production industry I obviously used spots and proper fresnels a lot... and actually kinda miss them.

I'd love to see something like the ETC Source 4 mini LED, but with the brightness and colour quality that we've come to expect from cinema/video oriented fixtures. I almost wish that's what Aputure had done here... made it a dedicated all-in-one spot fixture.

The only other option I've come across is that Hive Lighting have a partnership with ETC, and there is a Source 4 mini lens available for one of their lights. But I've never seen one in the flesh, haven't seen any good reviews, and haven't come across anyone who owns one.

I find myself wondering if that lens would work on other LED lights (like my Fiilex P360PP) if the mount could be adapted! I almost bought one just to test...

Everything you say about Dedos is right, I think.

I haven't used the mini lens from Hive, but I have used regular Source Four barrels with my Hive Wasp 250 units and they work pretty well. You just slide them onto the front end, no adapters needed. The only issues are they become quite front-heavy so you really have to crank down the yoke, and there's no top latch on the light to secure the barrel so it kind of sags from the top a bit. Functionally though, it performs exactly like a regular Source Four or Jo-leko with the beam projection, focusing, and gobo use. I'd expect similar from their mini-attachment. 

I would doubt it would work nearly as well with other LED lights because you really need a VERY narrow and focused single-point light to fire through those lens optics. A Source Four tungsten unit with no barrel, a bare-bulb HMI, or a lens-less Hive Wasp are all extremely narrow beams and punchy in a way that most LED chips or cobs are not. You can supposedly retrofit the new Dedo DLEDs with the old Dedo projector kit, but I've never tried it.   

I think you're right about panels and softlight. The kind of hard cuts, patterns and shadows they create have been out of vogue for awhile, and couple that with the fact they are first and foremost considered theatrical fixtures and it's easy to see why they're less popular in our type of work. It's a real shame though, because I still love using them. The ability to focus the patterns in or out or do precision cuts does wonders for backgrounds, especially with shallow DOF shots where you're really looking for pleasing shapes or textures as opposed to seeing what's actually there. The effect can actually appear very natural when used in subtle ways.

Like most styles and trends, I think they'll come back around at some point, both as an aesthetic and because the level of control you have with those types of fixtures is really something you just don't get with large softlights, and you need far less grip gear to shape them.

59 minutes ago, Erik A. said:

You can supposedly retrofit the new Dedo DLEDs with the old Dedo projector kit, but I've never tried it.

I've tried it at a tradeshow, it works really well.

59 minutes ago, Erik A. said:

or a lens-less Hive Wasp are all extremely narrow beams and punchy in a way that most LED chips or cobs are not

How is the Hive different from other COBs, do you know?

3 minutes ago, Nezih said:

How is the Hive different from other COBs, do you know?

The Hive Wasp I have is one of their plasma units, it's not LED so therefore has no COB. It is a single bulb and it's tiny, not much larger than a grain of rice. 

Their LED units don't seem to be much different in their basic structure and layout than others, as far as I can tell. They are also multi-chip, LED arrays with a small dome over them. There are differences between the specific technology they use for output and color fidelity of course, but the basic physical design seems to be fairly common so I don't imagine it is much different from others in that respect. I could certainly be wrong though, I've never done any hands-on comparisons.  

The Source 4 mini leko lens that that I'm particularly interested in works on the Hive Bee 50-C, Wasp 100-C, and Hornet 200-C.

The size of the source on those doesn't really seem much different to the COB chips in Aputure lamps, or for example the source on the Fiilex 360PP.

So I wonder what, if anything, about them is different to enable them to work with the leko lens. Maybe nothing? Maybe it could work on other lamps too?

7 hours ago, Nezih said:

The Source 4 mini leko lens that that I'm particularly interested in works on the Hive Bee 50-C, Wasp 100-C, and Hornet 200-C.

The size of the source on those doesn't really seem much different to the COB chips in Aputure lamps, or for example the source on the Fiilex 360PP.

So I wonder what, if anything, about them is different to enable them to work with the leko lens. Maybe nothing? Maybe it could work on other lamps too?

I assume this is the product you’re referring to?

https://hivelighting.com/products/source-four-mini-barrel-and-lens-w-adapter-plate-for-bee-50-c-wasp-100-c-hornet-200-c/

If so, the adapter plate looks custom to use on the Hive units, so any other lights would need to be able to take the same plate. I suppose theoretically if you were to figure a way to attach it, it COULD work. But that assumes the COB structure and beam angle is indeed very similar.

9 hours ago, Erik A. said:

I assume this is the product you’re referring to?

https://hivelighting.com/products/source-four-mini-barrel-and-lens-w-adapter-plate-for-bee-50-c-wasp-100-c-hornet-200-c/

If so, the adapter plate looks custom to use on the Hive units, so any other lights would need to be able to take the same plate. I suppose theoretically if you were to figure a way to attach it, it COULD work. But that assumes the COB structure and beam angle is indeed very similar.

Yes, that product. And yes, the reason I've been thinking about buying one is to see if the adaptor plate could be modified for other fixtures or not! But you're right in the there might be something different about the design of the LED source itself.

My my question is why are not more brands offering things like this?

The spotlight option for the Aputure 60d and 60x looks massive compared to the mini Leko for ETC...

2 hours ago, Nezih said:

Yes, that product. And yes, the reason I've been thinking about buying one is to see if the adaptor plate could be modified for other fixtures or not! But you're right in the there might be something different about the design of the LED source itself.

My my question is why are not more brands offering things like this?

The spotlight option for the Aputure 60d and 60x looks massive compared to the mini Leko for ETC...

It does look massive, yeah. I'm guessing it's because the lens is probably custom-designed to maximize the shape and output of their particular LED module. The company that makes the Re-lamp modules for existing tungsten fixtures, Visionsmith, did that when they designed the acrylic lenses to swap out the regular glass fresnels for. The shape and density of them maximized the output of the particular module that they built for each specific lamp. They work quite well too, btw. 

I don't have a good answer as to why more companies aren't doing this. My best guess, basic as it is, is that they just haven't been asked to and the demand doesn't seem to be high. I've talked to many lighting companies about why they made certain design choices in specific products and they were all unanimous that they were based directly on customer feedback. I was absolutely dumbfounded by some of the feedback they were apparently getting, lol, but that's neither here nor there. Seems this the demand for this kind of design has been usurped by RGBWW and app control.

• Like 1

These new Aputure units are a great addition in a field where Dedolights are second-to-none. I love that they actually included 8-leaf barndoors which are essential to detail lights. The true question will be in their build quality as Dedolights are rock solid which helps with their pricing as they can form part of your kit for years.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:31 AM, Nezih said:

Yeah, I've tried them out and they're certainly not for the video world. 

On 5/11/2020 at 5:55 AM, Erik A. said:

You can supposedly retrofit the new Dedo DLEDs with the old Dedo projector kit, but I've never tried it. 

I light for a lot of table top shoots and the projector lenses are a God-send in these situations. Supposedly the new Godox Projection Attachment fits on the Dedos at a fraction of the price. I wonder if the Aputure fixture will be compatible with Dedo accessories - would make them even more competitive as owners of DLH-4 units could switch over and keep using their own accessories.

As part of my kit I have some DLED 4s and Falcon Eyes Pulsars (which I found to be very close to the quality of the Dedolights). I managed to get the Projection Lens to fit on them also.

IMG_7800.jpg.17a4bcebe390648bd67cd4091ea65e5d.jpgIMG_7794.jpg.37223cd71be790d9017a5664e38db588.jpgIMG_7802.thumb.jpg.a7e80ff2553a33ee2cb2d5565f1cac01.jpg

How have I never seen those Falcon Eyes Pulsars before?! They look like a total Dedo rip-off. Are they any good?! Can you tell me more about them please?

3 hours ago, Nezih said:

How have I never seen those Falcon Eyes Pulsars before?! They look like a total Dedo rip-off. Are they any good?! Can you tell me more about them please?

Yeah, they seem to have flown under the radar. I have the bi-color version (P5-TD). Quality of light is very good, nice hard shadows. Metal casing, no fan (passively cooled). 8-leaf barndoors. The power connector doesn't inspire much confidence but I haven't actually had any issues even with heavy use. The focusing mechanism can be a little tight at times in comparison to the smoother Dedolight mechanism. Dimmer pack can take a v-mount battery which is very handy.

My readings with the lamp:

Beam angles: Full focus: 14.8°, half: 33.3°, full flood: 62°

Daylight
1m:
Full focus: 5,000 lux
Half: 2,200 lux
Full flood: 1,000 lux

Tungsten
1m:
Full focus: 3,400 lux
Half: 1,700 lux
Full flood: 700 lux

Nice, thanks! Have you been able to test colour accuracy at all?

No, unfortunately I don't have access to a Spectrometer (it's on my wishlist).

• Like 1