Erik Naso

What EF Lenses have the best DPAF performance?

With so many EF mount lenses available I was looking into picking up fast 50mm or 85mm EF mount lens primarily to use with a Cinema EOS camera or EOS R. The station has the EOS R so I could get some use from it. I have the Sigma 18-35 EF and the DPAF performance is okay but not at par with Canon native lenses. I'm not surprised by that but maybe other 3rd party lenses do work well.

What are your experiances with 3rd party lenses and DPAF performance? 

Posted (edited)

I have used the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8, the first version, and the AF or Stabilizer never worked on my C300 MKII. Its been in issue since day one, over 5 years ago. Originally, I thought it was broken but it works on Canon stills cameras completely fine. I'm assuming the new crop of Tamrons might have the same problems with Cinema EOS cameras but don't know for sure. 

1451392313_1083963.jpg

Edited by jprshoots
  • Like 1

From all I've read, the G2 Tamron lenses are even more hobbled on the C100/200/300 series: no VC and no AF at all. I'm sad to hear your experience re the earlier models, as I was hoping the G1 15-30 would play nice with VC and DPAF on the C200. There must be a slightly different lens communication protocol happening in the Cinema cams, because the stills guys can use them just fine. Weird. 

One can hope that it's just a firmware fix away. But I'm not holding my breath.

I know you're looking for a 3rd party lens, but I believe the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS L is the last EF mount lens that Canon made, and it is right up there with the 35mm II 1.4 L as one of the best Canon EF lenses of all time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DcD said:

I know you're looking for a 3rd party lens, but I believe the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS L is the last EF mount lens that Canon made, and it is right up there with the 35mm II 1.4 L as one of the best Canon EF lenses of all time. 

Thanks! I keep hearing the 85mm 1.4 IS L is a winner. I'm more interested in AF performance than getting a 3rd party lens. Native Canon seems to work better.  

Edited by Erik Naso