jprshoots

Super16 glass in this day and age?

We have so much good new glass these days, its great to see. But I feel that there might be some good super16 glass that is being ignored when it should probably be more relevant now that super16 crop modes are very prominent in top tier cameras. The Hurt Locker brought some light to the Canon 8-64mm T2.4 but I am sure there are other lenses worthy of a come back.

What are some super16 lenses that you guys have shot with that you'd like to lift from obscurity.

bmcc-canon-8-64mm-f2-4.jpg

Definitely lots of interesting and high-quality Super16 glass out there. The problem is that a lot of cameras that have Super16 crop modes actually end up using less than HD wort of pixels in that mode, so there is definitely a quality hit... and then a lot of newer cameras don't even have a Super16 crop option anymore.

Posted (edited)

I see what you mean. But not all cameras have ditched it. Amira and Alexa Mini have those modes, one of the Blackmagic Ursa cameras has crop mode in UHD, and the Cinema EOS cameras all have that mode, even if it is less than stellar on some cameras.

Maybe Super16 lenses have a future in high speed capture as many cameras have their highest frame rates in cropped modes. I think even B4 primes like the Zeiss DigiPrimes have a use case in that scenario. They are built to be used wide open, they are cheap now, they have fast apertures, and are built like tanks.

ze-dp-40.jpg

Edited by jprshoots