I'm sure that Blackmagic could have made the BMPCC4K/6K such that it could take a BP-A30/60 battery, but then it would have also been the bloated thing that is the C70. I'm being quite objective, in fact I pre-ordered my first BMPCC4K well aware of the endless complaints levelled at it by reviewers. In my view, the complaints were an overkill and has proven to be the case in the last two years of use.

On the matter of subjectivity, you're like the pot calling the kettle black, not a good look. This forum is a venue where all views are ostensibly subjective, but they help to inform others of particular issues, solutions and opportunities. There is no imperative to agree or disagree, sometimes that's not even possible, as with anything in life.

However, if no one ever made it clear how insignificant an issue the in-built battery in the BMPCC4K/6K is to 'actual users', rather than distant observers, then false information would continue unabated. And suggesting that I view everyone else as stupid is quite immature and insulting.

That 'knob' doesn't bother me, I was simply curious as to what its function was and, once explained, it just seemed to be a remnant of the film era. And, as one poster has alluded, it's not a function that's used much, if at all.

I thought I'd also add a bit of context to this thread, given that there have already been several comparisons with the BMPCC6K and by default the BMPCC4K. Here's a series of photos of my 'run & gun' rig, both packed away (with an A4 sheet for size comparison) and assembled for use. I take this with me just about everywhere, as it's so compact and lightweight, with everything needed for a day's shooting. BTW, I hardy ever see anyone's rigs with microphones attached (the VideoMic NTG goes into the camera and a Wireless GO transmits to my Zoom F6). While some say you can't do, others just go ahead and do.

1074317820_BMPCC4K(1).thumb.jpg.10c3aaf809604ea946288d1dfacb0383.jpg

1611988494_BMPCC4K(2).thumb.jpg.8478d923171106e8b5d0c97ea17b3281.jpg

Assembled rig (about half a minute) ready for use

On 9/25/2020 at 7:18 AM, Australian Image (Ray) said:

Edit I: I notice from the comments that there are still those who can't seem to live without a built-in EVF.

My eyes are terrible at reading distance. Even with glasses I find issues. Therefor a diopted evf is essential for me. Plus I've been using an evf since I first started out and its what I'm used to, so I do prefer it. These days it is a bit less, but where I can it's evf. Great thing about today though is there's many third party evf's to choose from. 

21 minutes ago, Noel Evans said:

My eyes are terrible at reading distance.

I need glasses for reading as well and so I much prefer a good monitor for most occasions; however, there are times when a small EVF would be nice to have (and to swap between cameras). The Blackmagic VA 12G is outstanding for focussing clarity and accuracy, even at half power. When I compare it to my Olympus E-M1 MkII EVF and manual focussing, the VA is simply streets ahead. Mind you, I also pretty much always shoot at chest level or lower, plus I use a gimbal, so an EVF isn't the most important device.