Robin Probyn

Roll up LED lights

Any recommendations for foldable / mat type LEC lights .. some thing like 4ft x 2ft .. Ive read about a few , the light looks good but then there is this rather cumbersome looking power / ballast / dimmer.. box ,too many cables..  power set up ..   is there a simple one with a V mount option ..

Thanks 

I just got an Intellytech LC-120 with V-mount and I have to say, I've not been that impressed. I've used it maybe 2 times and the baby pin is already loose on the back. I just used it to light a white cyc last week and man, the color temperature seems way, way off to me. I have the LC-120 set to 6500k and it is matching my Aputure 300D II which is a 5500K light. Their color dial seems like it's off by 1000 kelvin. I'm wishing I had a spectrometer right now.

9 hours ago, DcD said:

I just got an Intellytech LC-120 with V-mount and I have to say, I've not been that impressed. I've used it maybe 2 times and the baby pin is already loose on the back. I just used it to light a white cyc last week and man, the color temperature seems way, way off to me. I have the LC-120 set to 6500k and it is matching my Aputure 300D II which is a 5500K light. Their color dial seems like it's off by 1000 kelvin. I'm wishing I had a spectrometer right now.

Thats a shame .. I had one of their bigger lights on my B&H list .... lets see what Matt will be reviewing 

So far, all the ones I've used (for example: Aladdin, Fomex...) have really clumsy power/control solutions with multiple boxes and cables that are awkward lengths and often don't coil easily.

They're useful for some scenarios, but I find them annoying for everyday go-to lights.

12 hours ago, Nezih said:

So far, all the ones I've used (for example: Aladdin, Fomex...) have really clumsy power/control solutions with multiple boxes and cables that are awkward lengths and often don't coil easily.

They're useful for some scenarios, but I find them annoying for everyday go-to lights.

Yes thats exactly what I mean .. the light is very convenient.. but then everything else is a mess.. maybe you just cant your cake and eat it .. BTW Im not seeing any notification that there is a new comment on my thread .. ? 

On 4/25/2020 at 11:50 AM, DcD said:

How do you know that it is the Intellytech that isn't Kelvin color accurate? It could be that the Aputure is the one that isn't accurate. Without testing, it is a guessing game 🙂 

I have just reviewed one of Intellytechs's lights and it is one of the most Kelvin color accurate lights I have ever tested. 

17 hours ago, Robin Probyn said:

BTW Im not seeing any notification that there is a new comment on my thread .. ? 

Did you select "Notify me of replies" when you posted?

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 19.55.30.jpg

7 hours ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

How do you know that it is the Intellytech that isn't Kelvin color accurate? It could be that the Aputure is the one that isn't accurate. Without testing, it is a guessing game 🙂 

I have just reviewed one of Intellytechs's lights and it is one of the most Kelvin color accurate lights I have ever tested. 

That's true Matt. I don't have a spectrometer so I can only make an educated guess based on how my lights match each other. I also have an Aputure 120D II, two Aputure Tri8s panels, and 4 nanlite Pavotubes. I set my Pavotubes to 5500K and they seem to match my 300D II rather well, as does my 120D II and the 2 Tri8 panels. The odd man out is the Intellytech which also appears to have a slight green cast to the light in my opinion. I don't doubt they make good products (though the way the baby-in is attached to the frame on the LC-120 leaves much to be desired), perhaps I just got a bad unit or perhaps my controller is not functioning properly? Not sure what the issue is. If I get a moment, I'll post some photos of how drastic the color difference is when all these fixtures are pointed towards a white seamless.

May I add, wonderful job on the addition of this forum. I love the clean design. I think this place will become a fantastic global hub for these types of discussions. 

Edited by DcD

On 4/25/2020 at 2:38 PM, Nezih said:

I agree but these are not everyday go-to lights...maybe to-go... 😜

We picked up the Falcon Eyes RX-36TDX on a warehouse deal and have been really happy with it. The biggest annoyance is the collapsible bracket used for attaching to stands which can be a bit flimsy, but for the price its a solid light option.

Here's a video we did on it.

15 hours ago, Caleb Hauff said:

We picked up the Falcon Eyes RX-36TDX on a warehouse deal and have been really happy with it. The biggest annoyance is the collapsible bracket used for attaching to stands which can be a bit flimsy, but for the price its a solid light option.

Here's a video we did on it.

Thanks for the video.. could be a contender .. 

On 4/23/2020 at 5:52 AM, Robin Probyn said:

Any recommendations for foldable / mat type LEC lights .. some thing like 4ft x 2ft .. Ive read about a few , the light looks good but then there is this rather cumbersome looking power / ballast / dimmer.. box ,too many cables..  power set up ..   is there a simple one with a V mount option ..

Thanks 

I'm a huge fan of the Westcott Flex and Aladdin units. I prefer the Westcotts because the scrim-jim cine framing system allows you to quite easily and quickly make custom sizes. They do have the V-mount option, the new(er) dimmer units have an integrated v-mount plate, though I almost always use them with AC power. I've made everything from 1'x8' to 3'x3' units and their output and color are excellent. I can also break them down and fit SIX COMPLETE units into a single pelican im3220 case without rolling them up - 3x 1'x3' and 3x 1'x2', plus all the accessories and even spare connectors and diffusion fabrics. Bit heavy sure, but that much firepower into a single (reasonably) portable case is kind of amazing.

Putting the 3 1'x3' ones together to make a 3'x3' give you a TON of lumens soft off the bat and can compete with windows in the background through even thick diffusion like Magic Cloth. 

Yes, there are more parts to them then most, and if that really bothers you then it will be an annoyance. But that's also what allows the lights themselves to be so lightweight that you can mount them about anywhere. Having a very bright 1'x'3' source in a frame that can live on a standard boom arm with a sandbag and be set up by one person is really something, compared to a menace arm or a larger rig requiring 4-5 sandbags and a couple of grips to rig it. 

Edited by Erik A.
  • Like 1

Hi Erik .. thanks, yes thats a good point .. cant have the mat light cake and eat it ..  I only need two lights basically .. and its for travel ..  have you used Falcon eyes... I like the sizes and the relatively simple controller .. all I need is dimmer and Kelvin..   waiting for Matts review of a light he mentioned ..  

6 hours ago, Robin Probyn said:

Hi Erik .. thanks, yes thats a good point .. cant have the mat light cake and eat it ..  I only need two lights basically .. and its for travel ..  have you used Falcon eyes... I like the sizes and the relatively simple controller .. all I need is dimmer and Kelvin..   waiting for Matts review of a light he mentioned ..  

I have not used the Falcon Eyes lights, so can’t really speak to them. But I’ve read a lot of good things about them on other sites, they seem to be good bang for buck. I would wonder about durability mostly. Most units priced as cheap as they are cut the corners in that area, or sacrifice color fidelity for output. But at that price point, long-term investment might not matter much. 

And in all fairness, I’ve seen more than one Aladdin and LiteMat unit start to loose diodes after a couple years of fairly heavy use. So even the high-priced end of LED flex mats might not fare a whole lot better.

6 hours ago, Erik A. said:

I have not used the Falcon Eyes lights, so can’t really speak to them. But I’ve read a lot of good things about them on other sites, they seem to be good bang for buck. I would wonder about durability mostly. Most units priced as cheap as they are cut the corners in that area, or sacrifice color fidelity for output. But at that price point, long-term investment might not matter much. 

And in all fairness, I’ve seen more than one Aladdin and LiteMat unit start to loose diodes after a couple years of fairly heavy use. So even the high-priced end of LED flex mats might not fare a whole lot better.

One thing Ive read with the falcon .. and maybe its the same with other mat type lights .. you cant point them at much of a down angle from a stand .. I guess thats just the design .. a large source with no depth ..  I see it as a problem for interviewee warring glasses .. 

1 hour ago, Robin Probyn said:

One thing Ive read with the falcon .. and maybe its the same with other mat type lights .. you cant point them at much of a down angle from a stand .. I guess thats just the design .. a large source with no depth ..  I see it as a problem for interviewee warring glasses .. 

I’ve not heard that about them, or any other LED mats for that matter. I’m assuming you mean you can’t point downward because the mat doesn’t easily mount to a frame? Or have you heard there’s some LED design limitation in the same vein as some tungsten fresnels where you shouldn’t point them down for heat reasons? The latter would be strange to me.

I can assure you pointing the Westcotts straight down is no issue at all, and I’ve never heard not to do so. I’ve mounted them straight down countless times. You do need to mount them to a frame though to do so, the smaller Westcott frames have build in 3/8” receivers to screw in a threaded baby pin. Or just use a cardellini. 

8 hours ago, Erik A. said:

I’ve not heard that about them, or any other LED mats for that matter. I’m assuming you mean you can’t point downward because the mat doesn’t easily mount to a frame? Or have you heard there’s some LED design limitation in the same vein as some tungsten fresnels where you shouldn’t point them down for heat reasons? The latter would be strange to me.

I can assure you pointing the Westcotts straight down is no issue at all, and I’ve never heard not to do so. I’ve mounted them straight down countless times. You do need to mount them to a frame though to do so, the smaller Westcott frames have build in 3/8” receivers to screw in a threaded baby pin. Or just use a cardellini. 

Sorry no I mean if its on a stand ,and say you have reflections in an interviewees glasses .. I would raise the light and tilt it down with the Astra,s + soft box  I have .. but with a Matt light of the same soft box size.. the edge of the light will hit the stand very quickly .. so you cant tilt it down like a light with a yoke ..

4 hours ago, Robin Probyn said:

Sorry no I mean if its on a stand ,and say you have reflections in an interviewees glasses .. I would raise the light and tilt it down with the Astra,s + soft box  I have .. but with a Matt light of the same soft box size.. the edge of the light will hit the stand very quickly .. so you cant tilt it down like a light with a yoke ..

Right, that’s what I thought you meant. Yeah, putting it in a frame is really the only way to do this. In a pinch, I suppose you could just clamp a bare mat to a C-stand arm, but I wouldn’t consider that a good everyday solution. I don’t know if Falcon Eyes make any framing solutions, but I’d be a bit surprised if they didn’t for reasons like this. 

8 hours ago, Erik A. said:

Right, that’s what I thought you meant. Yeah, putting it in a frame is really the only way to do this. In a pinch, I suppose you could just clamp a bare mat to a C-stand arm, but I wouldn’t consider that a good everyday solution. I don’t know if Falcon Eyes make any framing solutions, but I’d be a bit surprised if they didn’t for reasons like this. 

Ok thanks sir ..  I don't see that they do make one .. maybe a 3rd party.. or basically as you say its got to be rigged onto an arm.. which then means sand bags etc..  I guess logically with they great large but very shallow / thin source .. by design.. on one stand alone .. you just cant tilt it down without a yoke .. period .. 

On 4/24/2020 at 10:50 PM, DcD said:

I have two of the larger 160's(2x2) and a Mega(3x4.5) and the quality of light is great.  I can mix 'n match them with my Astra's, Gemini's, Quasar's, Astera's and HIve's with no problems.  My only real issue with them, is that they are "erector set" lights and the older 160's have a really janky controller/ballast set-up.  But the light that they produce is up there with my Gemini's.  And I may get burned at the stake here for heresy, but the quality of light is better than a SkyPanel.  The Arri's have a green push, and at least to my eye and on my cameras(F55, VariCam's, C300), these two models of Intellytech's look neutral.

2 hours ago, Run&Gun said:

I have two of the larger 160's(2x2) and a Mega(3x4.5) and the quality of light is great.  I can mix 'n match them with my Astra's, Gemini's, Quasar's, Astera's and HIve's with no problems.  My only real issue with them, is that they are "erector set" lights and the older 160's have a really janky controller/ballast set-up.  But the light that they produce is up there with my Gemini's.  And I may get burned at the stake here for heresy, but the quality of light is better than a SkyPanel.  The Arri's have a green push, and at least to my eye and on my cameras(F55, VariCam's, C300), these two models of Intellytech's look neutral.

Not heresy at all, IMO - I feel like the name Arri is what's carrying their LED offerings so far. I agree the Skypanel does go a bit green, though with +/- green control correcting that isn't much of an issue. For the price and reputation however, it should be better right out of the box. It's VERY well-built but very heavy and unwieldy. Their fresnels and the Locasters are underwhelming. I think that it's a case of being such an established name that it's basically a rental-house default, which then makes them proliferate enough to be considered "standard," and even the dumbest producers have heard of Arri. To be fair, it does seem to be designed for larger crews and to ride on a grip truck. 

Come to think of it, HMI's are really the only type of light I think Arri really nailed as a whole. Their older tungsten offerings were convenient as kits and low weight, but I think Mole beat them in design and durability on almost every fixture, as did many DeSisti offerings. They never even bothered to take on Kino Flo in any real way. 

Tangent aside, I wasn't bowled over with the Intellytech's. I have 2x 160 Litecloths and the magenta tint is noticeable. Using them by themselves it's manageable, and the output is nice, but matching them with ambient daylight never worked that well for me. The accessories have good designs, but I found them pretty flimsy and didn't really hold up to any kind of abuse. Perhaps they've been upgraded, I got them pretty early on, but I rarely use them anymore.

Edited by Erik A.
Typo