Jay

Canon CN-E 15.5-47mm T2.8 & 30-105mm T2.8 Cinema Zooms slashed to $9,999

I believe the 1.6x PL Expanders would work

Tokina & Duclos both have one

Tokina 1.6x PL to PL

As with all expanders, there is loss of light and you would need to check compatability.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I believe the 1.6x PL Expanders would work

Tokina & Duclos both have one

Tokina 1.6x PL to PL

As with all expanders, there is loss of light and you would need to check compatability.

Thanks! one hefty price tag though.

Super interesting test. Is it my imagination, or is the expander noticeably softer and diffused? Sometimes that's fine, but not all the time... Angeniux EZ lenses seem like the only relatively affordable (using the term loosely!) full-frame zooms as of now, and then there are the Zeiss zooms, never really looked at them, out of my price range, but maybe a good rental option with these full-frame sensors? To be honest, the new Sony and Canon mid-range cameras offer such incredible autofocus (sacrilege!) that the game is rapidly changing for me... I find it hard to justify the investment... Be interesting to see how the new Sony Cine lenses they're bringing out perform. They're fully manual with a servo unit attached, maybe best of both worlds, but then I haven't shot with a Sony lens yet that I can wax lyrical about, except for some of the the Sony/Zeiss lenses, they have some magic for me...

Solid price cut at some very good lenses. I also see massive price drops on other S35 lenses like the Angie DP Rouge lenses (16-42 and 30-80). Feels like the big introduction of full frame cameras are driving prices a bit down. It's awesome for people like me who really don't mind still staying on the Amira and FS7.

I wonder if anyone has any comments on the CN-E 15.5-47 versus the LWZ.2 15.5-45?  As someone who owns Zeiss primes, the coating / color matching of the LWZ.2 is enticing.  With respect to the full frame comment, I guess I've justified it in my mind that S35 makes the most sense since many of the cameras that are using these lenses are S35 - there's an obvious industry shift to move us to FF35 cameras.  My primary camera is FF, but when using a zoom, I'm happy to crop down to S35 and save FF for the primes in more optically critical setups and just enjoy the convenience of S35 and embrace that as an advantage rather than a limitation.  I would think that expanders would have negative side effects and expanding to FF is done out of necessity when you can't crop your sensor versus achieving any optical superiority in that approach?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All "expanders" are simply Teleconverters. They work by expanding the image circle projected on your sensor - expanding the image circle reduces the intensity of the light coming through the lens (since the same amount of light has to be spread over a larger surface area). 

Similarly you lose resolution with them, because you're physically the resolved image - so the number of resolvable line-pairs per millimetre will be shrunk by the expander as well.

If you use them between a S35mm lens and a S35mm camera, you're essentially just "cropping" (optically) into the glass you put in front of the sensor.

Whether it's worth using expanders on S35mm glass (to get FF coverage), is really just something you have to test - i.e. will the gains in image quality you receive from using the larger format, compensate for the losses in image quality that your optics will suffer from - the answer could change depending on the specific lenses, specific expanders and specific sensors in play.

Edited by Mark K
  • Like 1

I've never used expanders or teleconverters. I've always thought of them as a resort to get more range or wider range, that compromise on quality. I understand why people with newer FF cameras might want to take a "shortcut" and use S35 glass expanded, but it feel counter productive to me. Just my two cents. 

I recently bought the 15.5-47 and I love it.  These are purpose built from the start to be Cine lenses and they make beautiful images. They are really pretty large and need to be supported with rods and lens support. Great focus feel and throw the zoom is parafocal . I just need to get the 30-105 now.