Newsshooter

FAQs & Support

7 minutes ago, Matthew Allard ACS said:

It is hard to do, because if you make it to difficult for people then real users don't want to go through all of those steps to join and post. 

Genuine members will normally give an intro (which mods can verify) and will have some references to show (again verifiable). Yes, there will be those who are just interested in taking part in the conversations, but does the forum really need this constant spam? A genuine user will understand the need for somewhat more detailed verification.

Usually the email address given is a dead giveaway that it's coming from spammers, as my WordPress site picks these up immediately. And I'm surprised that the site can't sandbox any post that has certain keywords, which these spammers appear to be using. Also, the forum software should also be able to pick up the spammer by the fact that the same post is being spammed across multiple threads. Plus there's a time factor to consider, each of these spam posts would happen within seconds of each other, another clue for the spam destroying software.

I had a look earlier at the Invision Community page and looking at what the site indicates is it's spam defence, it's just using  existing reference material from Invision sites. I don't think that's enough. Even using the Captcha software won't stop these spammers registering, as they are not bots. There doesn't even appear to be a way to sandbox any post that uses specific keywords, which should be a basic security function. It seems the only way to stop the spammers is to sandbox all new registrations, because you aren't dealing with bots.

The trouble with manually approving every new registration is it's often impossible to tell just from a name/email if someone is genuine or not!

5 hours ago, Nezih said:

The trouble with manually approving every new registration is it's often impossible to tell just from a name/email if someone is genuine or not!

What I meant is that registration can still be automatic, but the first few posts should be manually approved. Given that these spammers appear to be human (I use that term loosely), it's the only way to check whether they are genuine or not. A lot of forums do it this way because of the spam issue.

1 hour ago, Australian Image (Ray) said:

What I meant is that registration can still be automatic, but the first few posts should be manually approved. Given that these spammers appear to be human (I use that term loosely), it's the only way to check whether they are genuine or not. A lot of forums do it this way because of the spam issue.

That would definitely work, but it doesn’t appear to be an option with Invision, does it... @Scott Emerton?

OK so here's the current setup, which we can tweak as needed (too much spam, or too hard for people to join/interact):

• When registering, user has to answer a camera-specific question
  • Google Captcha
  • Email verification
  • User must have posted three times and be more than three days old before they are allowed to embed links, images, attachments or create threads.

I just tested and although I can "spam" replies straight away, I can't add links or anything so it's less of an annoyance and hopefully a deterrent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nezih said:

That would definitely work, but it doesn’t appear to be an option with Invision, does it... @Scott Emerton?

Yeah I can't for the life of me find a way to say that members of a certain group all go into moderation automatically. The "Automatic moderation" requires at least one user to report their content...

2 hours ago, Scott Emerton said:

OK so here's the current setup, which we can tweak as needed (too much spam, or too hard for people to join/interact):

• When registering, user has to answer a camera-specific question
  • Google Captcha
  • Email verification
  • User must have posted three times and be more than three days old before they are allowed to embed links, images, attachments or create threads.

I just tested and although I can "spam" replies straight away, I can't add links or anything so it's less of an annoyance and hopefully a deterrent.

That seems pretty good. Let’s see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn’t put people off!

I just registered I've been reading the site for some time and registered to pick the collective brains about bits of gear for specific uses, it would have put me off if I didn't know that boards often prevent new users from posting and go digging as currently there's no indication when you register that you are sandboxed until you've built up some reputation.

6 hours ago, PaulG said:

I just registered I've been reading the site for some time and registered to pick the collective brains about bits of gear for specific uses, it would have put me off if I didn't know that boards often prevent new users from posting and go digging as currently there's no indication when you register that you are sandboxed until you've built up some reputation.

Sorry Paul - we've been fighting a battle against spammers on the boards. I've fast-tracked you to a full member so you can post anywhere.

19 hours ago, Scott Emerton said:

Sorry Paul - we've been fighting a battle against spammers on the boards. I've fast-tracked you to a full member so you can post anywhere.

Thanks, I wasn't actually asking to be treated specially. I was suggesting that at least one of the emails you get on signup should mention that due to spammers the ability of new members to post topics will be restricted. You don't actually need to say what the restrictions so the mechanical turk on the end of the spamming can game them just that they exist.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 4:34 PM, PaulG said:

Thanks, I wasn't actually asking to be treated specially. I was suggesting that at least one of the emails you get on signup should mention that due to spammers the ability of new members to post topics will be restricted. You don't actually need to say what the restrictions so the mechanical turk on the end of the spamming can game them just that they exist.

Oh one other thing. When not logged in the system seems to offer to allow me to post first and register later when relying to threads with only needing to complete a recaptcha. Perhaps this could be disabled.

• Like 1