Newsshooter

FAQs & Support

6 hours ago, Uchujin Films said:

Is there anyway to edit posts you've made? I wanted to add something to my "introduce yourself" post and will likely need to correct spelling and grammar moving forward 🙂

Directly under your post is there not an "Edit" button? If you aren't seeing that, I'll try to speak to one of the admins about this, if they don't reply to you first!

930616702_Screenshot2020-04-20at15_15_12.thumb.jpg.6293cf097b80587a0f93d73b187213cd.jpg

6 minutes ago, Nezih said:

Directly under your post is there not an "Edit" button? If you aren't seeing that, I'll try to speak to one of the admins about this, if they don't reply to you first!

930616702_Screenshot2020-04-20at15_15_12.thumb.jpg.6293cf097b80587a0f93d73b187213cd.jpg

Yeah should be there, but sometimes that option disappears after the post ages, which may be the default setting. We'll check it out.

The Patreon connection does not seem to be working. I've supported Newsshooter on Patreon for a while now.  But when I try to connect my account I get the attached image.  Excited for your new forum.

All the best,

Benjamin Rowland

News-Patreon.JPG

5 hours ago, Benjamin Rowland said:

The Patreon connection does not seem to be working. I've supported Newsshooter on Patreon for a while now.  But when I try to connect my account I get the attached image.  Excited for your new forum.

All the best,

Benjamin Rowland

News-Patreon.JPG

Sorry Benjamin - still ironing out the bugs. Hopefully should have that fixed in the next day or so. We're excited to be able to recognise people like you who are actively supporting Newsshooter!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

For some reason when I go there - it's greyed out - and I cannot edit Display name? o_O

OK we've enabled that so you should be good now. Sorry we're running a lot of the default forum permissions so it's a learning curve of what suits the community best.

Let me know if you still can't do so.

There has got to be a way to sandbox these knobs that keep registering and then spamming the entire site. The Invision Community site talks about being able to block spam and the like, so something is not working or set correctly.

It's just so frustrating coming here when the rest of the world is asleep and finding the entire site has been spammed.

Edited by Australian Image (Ray)

Ray we've got no idea how it's happening... we've got all the anti-spam stuff set to the highest values, and now if you want to register you have to answer camera-specific questions, so it's pretty puzzling how it's still getting through.

Most likely this is being done via human intervention, so they bypass the automated spam checks. There must be a setting in the forum software that sandboxes first posts, or suspect posts, so that an admin needs to check validity and approve the user. Many forums use this to ensure that such spam doesn't get through.

I think this is the only way that this crap can be nipped in the bud. But if not done, in the long term, it's going to reflect poorly on the reputation of the forum if this keeps going on.

I’m not just piling on, but it has been really bad over the last several weeks or so, to the point I would usually hit the forum site for a second, glance at it and then just move on, because it was nothing but spam.  I actually got curious one day and counted over 100 spam posts, in a row, from the same poster/bot.  I know running a site like this is hard and largely a thankless job that many probably do for free as a labor of love. And I applaud those that are dedicating their time and resources to it.  But I also hope y’all figure out a way to stop those annoying low-life’s.

Just an FYI I've requested a change to the forums so new members can't create threads or embed links for a few days. Unfortunately it needs file-system level modifications so I need to go via our developers, but hopefully by end of week things calm down a bit.

• Like 1

That should make it much harder for these pests and hopefully make it easier for the mods to clean out the garbage. But I'd also see if you can set it so that new members can't create new posts or comment on existing posts without going through a mod approval process for the first few times. You can extend the timeframe if any new member appears suspicious, especially if a new member suddenly tries to post in multiple threads at once.