The Panasonic G9 is getting the ability to record 4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internally. This makes it the most affordable hybrid mirrorless camera capable of 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording.
The G9 will also get V-Log L as a paid license upgrade, as well as VFR (Variable Frame Rate) FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).
All firmware will be available at the LUMIX Global Customer Support website https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/ on the 19th of November 2019.
The firmware upgrades are as follows:
GH5 Firmware Version 2.6 / GH5S Firmware Version 1.4 /G9 Firmware Version 2.0
- Expanded compatibility with Profoto wireless transmitters: Profoto wireless transmitters “Air Remote TTL-O/P” and “Profoto Connect-O/P” can be used.
- Improved AF performance:[AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby while [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.
- Focus Peaking: A Focus Peaking function is available not only in MF mode but also in any AF mode.
- Continuous Auto Focus: It is possible to set continuous AF on the live view screen in Creative Video mode or in other video recording modes when the video recording area is displayed.
- GH5S/G9 Animal Detect has been added to AF mode: Utilizing Advanced AI Technology, animals, including canines, felines and birds, can be detected in addition to humans. The focus frame is automatically set on the target subject by analyzing the size and position of the target subject in the viewing image. The camera keeps tracking these subjects even when they turn their back to the camera.
- GH5S/G9 Focus Switch: It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect.] mode.
Enhanced video functions G9
- 4K 30p/25p 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording is supported.
- 4K 60p/50p 4:2:2 10-bit HDMI output is supported.
- Luminance level for 10-bit video is supported.
- VFR (Variable Frame Rate) shooting is supported (FHD 2-180 fps/4K 2-60 fps).
- HDR video recording is supported.
- V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).
Other major improvements:
- [AWBw]has been added to WB mode.
- [Highlight Weighted] has been added to [Metering mode].
- [Exposure Offset Adjust.] has been added to the Custom menu, which enables adjustment of the standard exposure value for all metering modes.
- [0.5SEC] has been added for an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
- AE can be locked with the [AF/AE LOCK] button when ISO Auto is set in M mode.
- [MODE1] has been added to the Live View Boost function, which increases the frame rate for smooth image displays to enable easier manual focusing.
- G9 [MODE2] has been added to High Resolution mode, which reduced subject’s motion blur.