By Features Editor Mat Gallagher:
Dan Chung talks to Joseph from DVinside about their new Focus View, version 2, afollow focus unit that includes a 2 channel control (One and three channel units are also available). The unit is smaller than the previous model and features an internal aerial, auto calibration for the lens and can remember different lens settings. For those with serious kit, they even offer an 8 channel version.
By site editor Dan Chung:
I spoke toabout their new follow focus units, a mount for their , and a line of fast aperture prime es.
Video by Jonas Schoestein and Scott Karlins.
By site editor Dan Chung:
Theis one accessory item that many DSLR shooters long for when they first start out. There are plenty of options available but most cost as much, if not more than, a well specced DSLR. Early in the ‘DSLR revolution’ California based D|Focus Systems set out to change that. They launched the much copied D|Focus for a fraction of the price of most others. It was an instant hit in the low budget filmmaking community.
As other cheap competitors have multiplied D|Focus have continually improved the specification of their model. The new D|Focus V4 is the latest version which promises to be the best yet. According to David Aldrich of D|Focus there are two main changes to the V4. It has a single, all aluminum rod mount and new ‘hybrid’ miter gears – plastic teeth molded over an aluminum insert. The new gears are said to be much more durable than the old plastic ones. There is also a new removable marking disc. Price is set at $189 US including a lens gear.
This from the manufacturer:
The New D|Focus V4 is the next evolution in the affordable design from D|Focus Systems. We’ve made several changes that improve on the durability, reliability and aesthetics of the V3, while still maintaining the small footprint and affordable cost.
The V4 has the same, “open gearbox” design as the previous models, but is improved thanks to our new, custom manufactured “hybrid” gears. These gears offer the same damped, low backlash, smooth feel of the V3 but with the durability of metal gears!
We’ve also done away with the plastic rod mount found on the previous models in favor of an all CNC machined, single rod clamp, aluminum mount. This makes the new D|Focus V4 even smaller and more compact than the already small V3!
As with all of our products, the D|Focus V4 is proudly made 100% in the USA.
- New custom manufactured hybrid gears – Plastic teeth molded over an aluminum hub gives the same smooth, damped, near zero backlash feel of the previous D|Focus with the durability of metal gears!
- New, all aluminum, CNC machined, single rod clamp with gearbox angle adjustment
- New removable marking disc
- Compatible with industry standard 15 mm Rods
- Compatible with all industry standard 32 pitch (0.8 mod) lens gears
- Industry standard accessory port on the knob for whips and cranks
- Reversible gearbox – Set it up on either side of your camera
- End user serviceable and upgradeable design
- Lightweight – Just 4.5 oz!
- Compatible with practically all DSLR cameras, large sensor video cameras and 35mm adapter systems.
- One year limited warranty.
You can find out more over on the D|Focus Systems website.