SmallHD has added display calibration to its line of monitors with the release of the OS3 firmware. The free downloadable update comes with a host of new features for all current SmallHD on-camera and production monitors (FOCUS, 500 Series, 700 Series, UltraBrights, 1300 Series, 1700 Series, 2400 Series, and 3200 Series)
OS3 is quite a big upgrade and allows you to calibrate your SmallHD monitor using the SmallHD color probe by X-rite, which costs $299US. This shouldn’t be confused with the i1 Display from X-rite, as that won’t work with SmallHD monitors.
Having this calibration ability is very important as it allows you to calibrate your field monitor so that it will match up with whatever computer screen or external monitor you may be using to edit and review your footage.
There is also a Customisable False Color option where you can change the IRE colour values to properly represent what camera you are using. Some of the other stand out new features include spot metering for the luma waveform and an image gallery viewer.
New to OS3
Using the official SmallHD color probe, auto-calibration can be initiated simply by attaching the probe to the monitor via USB and letting the monitor do its thing. Watch the Auto-Calibration How-To Video (this feature is not available for the 701 and 702 Lite monitors) above.
Customisable False Color (Exposure Assist)
Create up to 10 different IRE ranges, with custom color assignments, and start using False Color exactly how you want to.
Spot Metering in LUMA Waveform
Adding to SmallHD’s customizable Waveform tool is the ability to highlight and monitor critical areas of your image. Using a spot meter box with an adjustable size, the targeted area’s data becomes easy to see on the Waveform.
Image Gallery Viewer
Screen captures and images loaded onto SmallHD monitors via SD card can now be accessed in an image gallery. Quickly glance at dozens of frame grabs from a day of shooting, and do so without being connected to your camera.
Adjustable White Point
Support has been added for the following white points for the desired input space and monitor calibration: D65, DCI-P3, 3000K, 5000K, 5600K, 9300K.
SmallHD FOCUS now accepts 4K30
The SmallHD FOCUS monitor will now accept video signals up to 4K30 via HDMI. Shooters will see an improvement in image quality while shooting in 4K and using the Zoom feature to magnify their image.
HOW TO UPDATE A SMALLHD MONITOR
CAUTION: Make sure you do not lose power during firmware update
1. Download the latest .bin file version 3.1.2
2. Drag and drop .bin file from download onto your SD card (Must be 16gb or smaller – FAT or FAT32 for Windows, MS-DOS (FAT) for Mac)
3. Remove SD Card from computer or card reader attached to computer
4. Insert SD card into your SmallHD monitor
5. Turn on your monitor
6. Swipe or toggle left to right on your monitor all the way to the monitor’s Settings Menu
7. Select firmware update in Settings Menu and follow on-screen prompts
8. Once the firmware is installed and the on-screen prompts tell you to reboot your monitor – Hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds and then release.
9. Press the power button again to begin operating your monitor with the new firmware installed.