By technical editor Matt Allard:
Whether you believe in coincidences or not, less than 24 hours after the announcement of the Alexa Mini, RED has announced a price drop for upgrading the EPIC MX and Scarlet to a Dragon. The was $12,500 US and has now been lowered down to $9,500 US. Jarred Land has said that this offer will be up to NAB 2015 but could potentially last longer.
For RED owners who have already pre-paid $12,500 for the Dragon upgrade but have not had the work done yet, they will be eligible for the new price. If you have already had the update done and paid the $12,500 price then i’m afraid your out of luck.
RED have mysteriously been teasing their new WEAPON upgrade for Dragon owners ahead of its unvieling at NAB, but little to no information, specifications, pricing or even availability is known. Here is what we do know:
– Red Weapon is an Upgrade for Red Dragon cameras. You must own or upgrade to Dragon to be eligible for the Upgrade.
– Epic and Scarlet Dragon Camera Brains are eligible for the Weapon Upgrade.
– Mysterium-X to Dragon Upgrades will be ending around late June 2015. Upgrades have been running since 2013.
– From Monday February 23rd you will be able to upgrade from Mysterium-X to Dragon again at the price of $9500.
– Red Weapon Upgrades will have priority based on the time stamp of your order. Carbon Fiber lines will have priority.
– It is possible to pay for the Dragon Upgrade and then pay-up to the Weapon Upgrade.
– Red Weapon Upgrades are expected to begin around Summer/Fall 2015.
– Red Weapon will be using MINI-MAG Red Media and it’s not planned to support the 1.8″ REDMAG Media likely due write speeds increasing and form factor.
– Existing DSMC Lens Mounts will be compatible with Red Weapon.
– There will be an Epic Dragon to Carbon Weapon Upgrade Path
– Red Weapon will have a full unveiling at NAB 2015.