By technical editor Matt Allard:
Atomos have released new firmware for their Shogun 4K external recorder that addresses some of the problems users were experiencing, but the update still hasn’t included playback capability. I spoke to Atomos CEO Jeromy Young a few weeks ago about the problems users were facing.
While some of the issues have been rectified there is still a lot of work to be done. Atomos to their credit does listen to customers and is working on trying to solve a lot of the known issues.
This update also contains all the features of the previously released update.
Enhancements and Fixes:
* Fixed occasional 1/2 blue frame chroma swap (Yr <-> Yb) when recording 4K 30p on A7s and GH4.
* Implemented user feature request. WFM to automatically minimise from full screen or bottom 3rd to mini in order to monitor the display.
* Playback – Unfortunately we have experienced some difficult issues, which are being solved now. We now estimate end of January for this release. It could be sooner if solving these problems goes well. We apologise once again for these delays and appreciate your patience.
* DNxHD – We expect Avid DNxHD to be available mid February
* 3D LUT’s – Expected March
* Cinema DNG – Due to the delays in releasing playback and DNxHD, Cinema DNG will also be delayed until March. However we can let you know that the following are planned to be implemented for RAW support: FS-RAW (FS700, FS7), C500, Arri RAW, Panasonic V-RAW
Known Issues (Atomos):
* Rolling timecode trigger does not work at 1080p50/60.
* RED & C500 SDI 1080p50/60 bug found.
Known Issues (3rd party):
* Transcend media only works if inserted with unit already turned on
* OCZ media not recommended
* BMD 6G-SDI products not compatible in UHD4Kp60. Shogun is compliant with the current SMPTE 6G-SDI standard, the Hyperdeck Studio tested was not compliant. Until BMD update to the current SMPTE provisional 6G standard ST 2081-1:201x (Version 4, 2014-06-04) on their 6G products, Shogun will not work with these devices.
The main points to come out of this new firmware release are:
No playback till late January -This is very unfortunate as it was something that was supposed to be coming in early January.
3D LUT’s– Expected in March. Quite a big problem if you are using the Shogun to monitor or record Log images.
RAW Support– This is a positive point moving forward. Free RAW support for cameras such as the Sony FS7, Sony FS700, C500, Arri Alexa and Panasonic Varicam 35 will be a welcome addition. Just how soon this is implemented could be another story.
There is still no mention of the on going battery problem being rectified or when the sun hood will be available.
You can download the firmware here.