By Contributing Editor Chuck Fadely
Mirrorless cameras are hot at the 2014 PhotoPlus Expo show. Think Tank Photo bags are extremely popular with news shooters and at the show in New York they were showing showing new backpacks made specifically for smaller mirrorless camera systems like the Sony A7 and Panasonic GH4. The Perception Series is described as the love child of the older Shape Shifter and StreetWalker series of backpacks, with pouches inside to hold bodies and lenses.
Prices are from $130-$180 in black or tan and ship next month. You can see the range over on the Think Tank Photo website.
Here is more info from Think Tank Photo:
Think Tank Releases Six Perception™ Premier Daypacks
SANTA ROSA, CALIF. – Think Tank Photo introduced its smallest, lightest backpacks, the Perception™ series. Designed specifically for mirrorless systems, the Perception series will become the “go-to” pack for photographers looking to add flexibility to their workflow while using a smaller system along with a laptop and tablet. It’s an all-new and advantageous way to carry smaller camera systems and is ideal for travel and city walk-arounds.
The Perception series comes in two colors, black and taupe, and three sizes. The smallest size, The Perception Tablet™, accommodates a mirrorless system and an iPad Mini. The largest size, the Perception Pro™, holds a 15″ laptop and a 10″ tablet, plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed). Plus, the largest size fits four to five more lenses or a large GoPro® kit.
“Our designers took inspiration from Think Tank’s award-wining and popular Shape Shifter backpack, which includes protective features to enclose and secure camera gear, but with the Perceptions it is scaled to a smaller form factor,” said Think Tank Photo’s CEO and lead designer Doug Murdoch. “For the first time mirrorless system users have a backpack designed specifically for them that has Think Tank’s commitment to innovation, workflow, and quality. The fitted backpack straps accommodate either male or female body types.”
- Cinch cord pockets provide flexibility for gear.
- Dedicated laptop/tablet compartment.
- Interior organizer provides quick access to pens, business cards and keys.
- Extra space to fit a jacket, food, water bottle or additional gear while on the go.
- Breathable padded airflow harness with adjustable sternum straps.
- Removable waist-belt.
- Tripod-carry on the front of bag allows for access to gear even when tripod is attached.
- Stretchable side pockets hold water bottles or compact umbrellas.
- 600 denier twill fabric feels soft yet durable matte finish.
- Top pocket with plush liner for smart phones.
- Specially designed divider holds a pancake lens or small accessories.
- Seam-sealed rain cover included.
Perception Tablet: Mirrorless camera, iPad Mini, GPS device, smartphone, radio, headlamp, knife. Examples:
- Fuji XT-1 with 18–55mm f/2.8–4 attached (hood reversed) + 35mm f/1.4.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 50mm f/1.8.
- GoPro Hero 3, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote, etc.
Perception 15: Fits a 15” laptop + 10” tablet (iPad), plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed) plus 1–2 additional lenses, or a medium GoPro kit. Examples:
- Sony a7 with a 28–70mm f/3.5–5.6 attached (hood reversed) + 55mm f/1.8 ZA.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 55–250 f/4–5.6 (or 55–200).
- 1–2 GoPro Hero 3, extra housing, mounts, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote.
Perception Pro: Fits a 15” laptop + 10” tablet (iPad), plus one mirrorless body or small DSLR with a small to medium zoom attached (lens hood reversed), plus 4–5 more lenses or a large GoPro kit. Examples:
- Sony a7 with 24–70mm f/4 ZA attached (hood reversed) + 70–200mm f/4 + 35mm f/2.8 + 55mm f/1.8 ZA + F60M flash.
- Canon Rebel T5i or Nikon D5300 with 18–55 kit lens attached + 70–300mm f/4–5.6 + 50mm f/1.8 + 100mm (or 105mm) macro + flash.
- 1–5 GoPro Hero 3, extra housings, mounts, batteries, memory cards, cables, charger, remote, suction cups, chesty, etc.
Exterior: For superior water-resistance, all exterior fabric has a durable water-repellent (DWR) coating, plus the underside of the fabric has a polyurethane coating. It is also constructed with 600D twill, YKK® RC zippers, 320g dry-flow air mesh, nylon webbing, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.
Interior: Removable closed cell foam dividers, polyurethane backed liner & dividers, 200D polyester, laminated non-woven backed nylex liner, 2x polyurethane coated nylon 190T seam-sealed rain cover, and 3-ply bonded nylon thread.