Canon EOS-1D X first look video

By Dan Chung

I’ve been at the Canon Pro Solutions show in London this week and was lucky enough to get a full run through of the video features of the Canon EOS-1D X from Mike Burnhill. I was allowed to shoot with the camera but sadly I could not take the video away. For me one of the great things is that the camera works with many of the existing 5D mkII accessories as you can see in the video. Sadly the camera is not available until March 2012.

Video shot by Felix Clay and Sam Morgan Moore.

Posted on October 27th, 2011 by admin | Category: Canon EOS-1D X, DSLR video news |

6 responses to "Canon EOS-1D X first look video"

1. Tim Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Thanks Dan – great stuff. Would love to know if either of the two codecs record 4:2:2 and at what bit rates.

2. Dan Chung Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Tim, It’s still 4:2:0 as far as I am aware.

3. Tim Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thanks – the Intra frame codec sounds interesting. Editing without transcoding would be a great time saver with tight deadlines but these must be big files if only 6 minutes eats up a 16GB card.
    No audio monitoring is a let down but on the plus side I’ve heard the 1DX has a 2 stop low light advantage over the 5D – have you heard the same?
    Again – many thanks!

4. Art Chong Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Dan, when Mr Burnhill said that they’re still looking into tweaking the software, how much “tweak & change” do you think they’re willing to actually do? Do you get the sense that they’re actually looking for professional input from the video/film segment to make changes? He seems to be really in touch with the video side of this camera. He mentioned possible EXFAT support, which would be really nice, especially with the higher data rate. You’d hit that 4GB limit much sooner than you would before.

Here’s to hoping for a better color space and/or bit depth. :)

• Dan Chung Says:
      October 29th, 2011 at 2:44 am

Absolutely no idea Art. I would love to see audio monitoring on the AV jack or HDMI but it’s unlikely I think

5. Rabonour Says:
    October 30th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I think one of the most interesting parts is when you ask why the HDMI out isn’t clean and he basically comes out and says that Canon is neutering the video on their DSLRs to avoid cannibalizing their video cameras.